Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Ummm..whose running the daycare here?

More of a vent I suppose....

Had DCM drop off her son today. He's been sick with a cold, thick, yellow runny nose, cranky. You get the idea. She then tells me that dcb has not slept very well. Went to sleep at 11:00 and was up at 5:30am. Then while he is being super cranky and pulling on her she asks him "Do you want to nap now?" Ummm...NO sorry I pipe in....naptime is at 1:00pm. If he's too tired and sick to participate in daycare he needs to go home for the day. The nap room serves as a secondary playarea during the day. No way would dcb be able to nap during the day (he's 2 1/2 btw).

Then dcb starts to whine that he wants to sleep. Oh well. Too bad. We are not arranging a whole day's program for one child besides if he naps now, there goes my break. My sanity savor, my lunch time, my only time in the day where my brain is not melting. ugh.

So I was turing around to ask her if she's taking him home and she's already hightailed it out my door and down the driveway!! So I guess that answers that question

So now I'm left with a child who wants to nap. I told him to lie down and rest. But we are not staying quiet, or dimming lights. He's now up and pushing kids. Ugh. This is going to be a long day.

Starting to feel at home...
    Sick kids are not fun that's for sure.

I have a little one here today who is sick with a cold, and has been up since 4:30 this morning. Gonna be a long day here too!

Oh, I would call her immediately and tell her to come pick up her child. Then force the contract on her that she signed that says your policies on sick kids. Then if she whines that she has to work or whatever, I'd pull out the strike 1.....3 strikes and you're gone lady.

I don't deal well with parents who can't respect me and my rules set in place for my business. There's a reason we have these rules....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

He's playing now and seems less grumpier. We will see. If he turns into the devil again, then mum is getting a not so pleasant phone call to get her son.

I have a feeling lunch is going to be hell with this tired child. Could you feed him and put him down for nap earlier and leave him till regular nap time is over? I bet he will sleep longer than usual given he is so tired.

apples and bananas
    It sucks when they're not feeling well. You did everything you could at drop off this morning.

Maybe mention at pick up that he was really difficult and if he is not feeling well enough to participate in activities then it's not fair for him to be dropped off.
    At a centre, she wouldn't have dropped him off. But because she comes to your house there's this sense of "she'll take care of my baby" It's still not one on one care like some parents perceive, it's one on 5 care in most cases.

I hope he's not overtired and doesn't sleep well. I hope you have a good breat today. And if not, call that mom and get her back there. Not fair to you!

Starting to feel at home...
    I think at pick up time I would mention to Mom about his day and any difficulties. I would say for future reference it would be better for him, the other children and YOU that when he is ill like that he be home.

Euphoric !
    Are they new to daycare? I had a parent say silly things like that to me when they were new this summer but I set her straight telling her that we have our routines and there is no room for big changes. I'm flexible with cancelling a field trip if I have a child who feels really crappy or having the routine be off schedule by 1/2 an hour or so, but not drastic changes. Good for you for standing up for yourself!