Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I mean?

Starting to feel at home...

Am I mean?

I have a 2 1/2 year old dcb. He brings his blankie to my house everyday. It has a spot that is easily accessible to him so he can get it out for a snuggle when he wants to. Problem is, he leaves it laying all over the house and gets mad if the babies touch it. Its also a tripping hazard. He knows where the blanket belongs & if I do find it on the floor I ask him once to put it away. If its not put away it goes in my hall closet until naptime or home time. He's usually pretty good about it but today when I asked him to put it away he said "put it in the closet". So that's where it went which was fine until he wanted to cuddle it. He had a complete meltdown - taking off his pants, throwing toys. Needless to say, he did not get his blanket back until naptime. I feel mean though - since it's s comfort object. Would you handle this situation the same way?

Expansive...
    Ha ha....I must be really mean because I would never have the blanket out at all!!! It would stay in his bed for napping only!

Outgoing
    You are not mean at all. I am with wonderwiper. Blankets go upstairs to the sleeping area and stay there. No exceptions.

Starting to feel at home...
    Interesting, Wonderwiper. I am considering putting it away except for naptime as well - I am so sick of finding it everywhere.

Euphoric !
    Start by making a place for it such as the couch that he can go to to have it but no toys while there just the blanket and blanket can not leave the couch. The more he gets comfortable the more he will start leaving it there - in sight as needed, but not in hand. Then it moves to bed only.

I have a one year old with a soother and this bunny cloth thing he drags around and chews on and it drives me crazy. I have started letting him have them till nap and then during nap but after I put them up so he can have a snack and don't give them back (out of his eyesight) unless he gets absolultely beside himself. He is developmentally suffering I feel from them since he doesn't even babble with his mouth stufffed and can't play or hold on to stand or use two hands to cross the midline type of thing in play. I tell myself I am doing him a service.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    Ha ha....I must be really mean because I would never have the blanket out at all!!! It would stay in his bed for napping only!
    Exactly this! No specialty items are allowed unless it is for nap time and they don't get it until nap time, period!
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    I had a child completely attached to his blankie and I had the same rule as you - naptime only. You are not mean. You or one of the other children could trip on it which makes it a safety hazard that has to be kept out of the way in case the parents ask about it. As far as the child is concerned, he must learn the rules and he will.

Euphoric !
    Same here .... All comfort items are for naptime only!

Outgoing
    naptime only. Problem solved.

Euphoric !
    Soothers, suckies, blankets, thumbs.... for comfort, not for play!!
    I don't hate the idea of a lovey, but there is a time and a place. And that is NOT during play or snacktime!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post: