Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    apples and bananas
    A stretched shirt is not abuse in any stretch of the imagionation. I think it's interesting that the letter said they weren't accusing you of anything "right now" but were seeking legal council.

If I was afraid my child was abused in care I wouldn't call a lawyer, I'd call childrens aid! I'd want them to document the "injury" immediatly and be more concerned about a poor care giver still with children then getting "legal council"

Are there are fees for pulling their child out immediatly? Do you have a deposit still? Do you think these are threats to try to get out of paying any further or to get their deposit back?

I would cut off all communication with them other then by email. That way everything is traced. And if they do call, ask them to email you their concerns. "i have been advised to have all communication with you by email only" it may make it sound like you have a lawyer and they may just back right off.

Good luck, what a horrible thing to go through.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I am so sorry you are going through this. Like others have said, I don't believe they have much to go on (since you didn't do anything wrong) and doubt much (if anything) will come of this. Keep your head up and enjoy your time with the other daycare child!
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BrightEyes For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm so sorry you have to go through something so terrible! I agree with the others, breathe, relax and try not to stress because, really, how stupid are these parents? Sorry, but it's true! We all know that little children embellish stories especially when prompted by their parents and when the parents are buying into the story. Kids thrive on attention.

Parents should always be diligent in making sure that their children are in good care and never suffering any kind of abuse wherever they go. I agree with that, but parents also have to use their gut instincts and talk to the caregiver about everything and not threaten lawsuits.

I also agree that if this happened to me I would not let the child come back, period! Too scary. All the others gave you wonderful advice. I'm just sending out support.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    When I worked in a daycare center a child around the same age as the one you mentioned would help out with the younger children. This child "made up stories" about the teachers and the children and told their parents. It was taken seriously and looked into but it was proven that the child had made it up. Needless to say, when the child wanted to help out in my classroom I said NO. The parents were not happy, saying that it hurt the child's feelings but I was not going to put my career at risk knowing that this child makes up stories. (the child made up stories in her own classroom as well) It made me concerned about their home life. If children are making up stories like this they must have gotten the idea somewhere....
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BrightEyes For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Incredible feedback. THANK YOU so much! I find it very useful and I am sure the other providers will too.

Shy
    Mom has attempted to call me twice this morning. Her number came on up the call display but no message was left.
    I had already decided not to speak to either parent. If they want to contact me email is fine.

Its a very good point that the email states " They are not accusing me of anything right now" and its not something I thought of.
    In all my years of childcare this is the first time I have had this happen. I had a very active mischeivous boy break both his leg and his arm with in two weeks and his parents were absolutely amazing about it. 10 years later I still feel terrible even though I was watching that boy constantly.

There is no way this child is coming back to care. I also never thought about the parents " saying abuse" to get grandma/family members to give free care. This child was definitely the king of his grandma ( nonna's )'s home.

The deposit will not be returned as they pulled him from care without the two week notice required as stated in the contract.

I have already done up the tax receipt for the family and its ready for pick up.

I will continue to wait and see. I am hoping the worst is over.

Outgoing
    Holy crap! Again, I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said, just wanted to send my best wishes your way for having a happy/calm day despite what this family is doing to you. Wait and see is all you can do for now. Some people, I tell you! When parents say the untrue things that their kids tell them it's always good to reply with "yeah, you won't believe what he said about...." I'm sure we have plenty. We hear a lot of things out of their mouths, too! While children can't be ignored in claims, we and the parents also have to take it with a grain of salt and use some judgement, which obviously the parents have not done.

Enjoy some camomile for now and a nice glass of wine tonight! (Seems to be my answer to everything!)

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I"m assuming by your name that you like Doritos??? Red wine and doritos go together very nicely btw! Just saying....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I would not allow the family to pick up a receipt. You have until Feb 2013 ( I think ) to issue it. Do it at that time and send it registered to their home address.

A family that threatens you with legal action should have no place being anywhere close to you or your daycare. Email is a good way to communicate. If they feel the need to contact you through a lawyer then your lawyer can respond. But in no way should that family be anywhere near your home.

They sound like they are fishing for problems and you should not let them close enough to find any.

Be polite in your email responses and leave no opinions... just facts.

Some poeple are horrible! Just the fact that they said "not accusing yet" makes me feel like that's a threat.

I think you are right to keep the deposit, however, don't be surprised if that's what they try to come back for.

Shy
    Apples and Bananas that is a very good point. The tax reciept can wait until February 2013. I will just file it away until then.

I have to say with him gone, the mood around here is lighter.. We never knew when he was going to have a fit because he was not getting his own way, or did not like snack, or did not like a activity etc. He could really really cry and it happened several times a day.

If they want the deposit returned all the power to them. It clearly states that if for whatever reason a child is pulled from care without the proper notice the deposit is forefeited.

GCJ I love doritos.. Most women are all about the chocolate give me a dorito anyday.. I think I deserve a bag today! I love the wine idea but I can not drink alcohol anymore.. The headache is so not worth it.