Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar

Bedwetting at daycare

A Mommy and I are looking for some advice on bedwetting at daycare only for an almost 4 yr old.

Child does amazingly well all night at home and hasn't had an accident in a long time the problem seems to be only at daycare. Child hasn't had an accident during nap time on the weekends in ages.

At daycare we do the potty train before quiet time and during quiet time I tell the big kids that they can go to the potty anytime, just they need to be quiet so they don't wake the others up. About every 2 weeks the child will have an accident or two when sleeping at daycare. The child is fully trained and has been trained for over a year. Has a good bladder. Hasn't had pull ups at daycare since last winter. I'm worried about regression.

I'm sure it is a daycare thing and the solution should be found in daycare, just for the life of me, I can't think of anything at the moment. Parents are amazing and have been trying at home. My first thought was to put child back in pull ups, but is that the right thing to do in this case?

Advice is appreciated, thanks

How much is he drinking at lunch time? Cause I might limit his lunch time consumption of fluids cause that might be the difference in that he is being allowed to drink way more right before nap at your program than at home which is why he can make it through nap time there?

As for putting a pull up back on for me it would depend on how the 'accidents' are affecting the program ~ is he sleeping in a spot that the pee is not posing a hygiene risk or damage to flooring/bedding/etc .... are they easy and quick to be able to clean up for you?

Cause my first concern would be ruining the furniture where he sleeps so in the interest of hygiene and dealing with clean up of bedding if it was something occurring 'regularly' I would putting a pull up back on OVER TOP of the undies as a containment unit ~ so if he has an accident he will still get wet undies and feel the accident but it will not cross over onto bedding or floor? If it is just something 'rarely' occurring 1 or 2 a month than I would put a pee mat on his cot area to absorb and accidents and not use a pull up and really reflect on what was 'different' that day in the way of consumption of fluids or STRESS cause either could be causing the sleep accidents.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I would also say that using a PullUp is dependent upon how often/regularly it seems to be happening, and what "damage" is being done. There are some really cool pads that you can buy in the PullUp section to put down on the mattress or whatever he is sleeping on. I ended up picking up a package for my 5 year old who, once in a blue moon, sleeps so soundly she pees.
    If it's weekly, or if it's upsetting to him, or you find yourself trying to sanitize a mattress far too often, I would put him in one for a nap. I would not make a big fuss, just use the "just in case" reasoning. And definitely cut back on the drink at lunch time to just enough.
    I really try not to stress about accidents while sleeping, because all the little people progress so differently. Some are able to do it as soon as they are potty trained, some take years to be able to sleep without peeing. And at least you know they aren't doing it on purpose!
    He must be super comfortable at your house, to have such good sleeps. That's a good thing.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    Gosh I'm so out of practice when it comes to these things! I didn't even think to watch the child's water intake at lunch to see if that might help. The accidents aren't regular, they occur about once every two weeks. It's not a large amount, just enough to soak through the clothes and sheet . I didn't know they had pads, i'll check into those. The parents sent the child in pull ups this morning and I felt so bad because the child doesn't need to wear pull ups all day just quiet time. The only downfall is I'm so used to the child not wearing pull ups that I forget .

The last two days that the child has had an accident I have noticed that she was sleeping very soundly and hard to wake up, so I agree that might be some of the cause. So the pads seem to be a better option than pull ups .

Euphoric !
    I moved lunch up half an hour and now have a half hour of play after lunch and then do diapers for naptime. I was finding too often one of the girls and one of the babies was pooping just after going to bed. Now they usually do it about 20 minutes after eating so done and changed before nap. That might also be a factor. Does it happen on a day you have been really busy in the morning, then had a quick lunch and right down to nap because of the time. In other words even though the child tried potty or got a diaper change they hadn't done their lunchtime pee yet.

Euphoric !
    I do the same! They play while I am cleaning up lunch mess and by the time I am done, quite often many of them have pooped (those in diapers) and then I do diapers and potty time for anyone trained...gives a chance for the food and liquid to work it's way through a bit. I agree with limiting the liquids too. I had to do that with my own son for a long time after he was trained. Just make sure she gets lots to drink earlier in the day so she isn't too thirsty at lunchtime!

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I moved lunch up half an hour and now have a half hour of play after lunch and then do diapers for naptime. I was finding too often one of the girls and one of the babies was pooping just after going to bed. Now they usually do it about 20 minutes after eating so done and changed before nap. That might also be a factor. Does it happen on a day you have been really busy in the morning, then had a quick lunch and right down to nap because of the time. In other words even though the child tried potty or got a diaper change they hadn't done their lunchtime pee yet.