I have a new little boy who started with me in September. He'll be 3 in December. He is the youngest of 3 siblings and was with a nanny at home since birth. He is with me for one year until he starts school. We did no transition days with him. The first few days were hard. He would run and try to get out the front door when mom left. When she did leave he would run at me and hit me. He would sit in the corner and look at the all for most of the day. He wouldn't eat much. He's always slept well (thank goodness!)

After a week he was fine and is now a very nice kid to have around. However...

He is showing no signs of ready to toilet train at all! Doesn't know when he's pooped. Will sit in a full diaper for hours. Will sit on the toilet no problem, but has never done anything in the toilet, just sits there until i tell him he's done.

He speaks well and says some words I wouldn't expect a 3 year old to know or be able to pronounce, however, he doesn't seem to comprehend a lot. If I ask him if he had fun on the weekend he says "ya" when I ask him what he did he looks at me blankly.

When we play together we will talk about colours and shapes. He knows his stuff, but will often not respond to me. If I ask him any open ended questions i get "ya"
I could ask him if he can stand on his head and he would say 'ya'.

I will read him a story and talk about some of the different things on the page. If I ask him any open ended questions. "what is the boy doing? " etc he won't answer me at all.

Any suggestions on how to open this kid up? He's a great kid, but I would expect his behaviour from an only child, not one with 2 older siblings to learn from.