Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Thumbs up Bad mouthed by other daycare providers

Hello!
    Well Ive been running an at home daycare for 8 years now. The area i am in is saturated with new daycares. 15 popped up in the last year! For the first time in 8 years I only have one daycare child. My others left because they started full time school, grandparents were taking them or they moved away. So no one has been unhappy with me.
    I had a few interviews all for infants which I am fine taking. The interviews went well so I thought but none of them end up signing on. I wondered why I am the only one without daycare kids in my area and everyone is full and then some (some of the providers have 12 and 13 kids).
    My current daycare child has been with me for a year now. So I round a bout way asked her parents if when they were interviewing was anything said about my daycare and the care I provide. The father told me without names that two of the providers had mentioned that i put the kids infront of the tv all day and leave them which is COMPLETELY untrue.
    Now some of the providers get together at the local park. Since there are alot of kids around I dont usually join them. My Daycare kids have a tendency to be a bit young and often get hurt so I take them for walks or go to another park down the street. im totally hurt by someone bad talking me to other parents causing my business to almost be null. what can i do??

When a business or person bad mouths another, I always wonder what their motive is. Obviously, competition is the one here, but perhaps there is jealousy too. When you speak to these other "providers" keep it casual, upbeat and friendly and no complaining. It sounds like most anything you might say by this group will be twisted to the negative. Keep your head up and a smile on your face.....that always keeps them guessing!

Quote Originally Posted by lotssoflove View Post
    .... (some of the providers have 12 and 13 kids). ....
    Illegal daycares make me cringe!

As for the other providers bad mouthing you ~ I would hold my head high and keep advertizing and find a client who can come into your program, meet and talk to you and decide for themselves what is the BEST MATCH for their needs without cow-towing to the gossip of insecure competition .... honestly IMO a client who puts their child in the care of someone who has to resort to 'bad mouthing the competition' in order to make their program seem worthy and the best choice well that just makes me wonder WHY would you want someone with ethics and morals like that helping to raise your kids and vice versa would you really want to WORK with someone day in and day out who is ok with that kind of behavior?

I would never and have never bad mouthed another provider during an interview ~ I do educate parents on what to 'look for' when interviewing and questions to ask and so forth but I do not say 'hey don't take your kid to the lady down the street she is always over numbers and feeds the kids crap and everytime you walk by the house the TV is on and the kids are in front of it ' cause I know I offer an amazing program on its own merits and it sells it self to those who value what I value it .... it is the parents job to interview and make the best choice for their kid and IMO 'bad mouthing' my neighbor only makes me seem petty and insecure!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I agree that as a parent, should I be looking for care, it would be a HUGE turnoff if the person I was meeting with started trash talking the competition.
    I would say, it's time to do what the others are not. Put together a great website, make sure your home is set up to it's utmost potential and take pictures to advertise. Take some pictures of all the fun stuff you do (even if it's things like coloring, at the kitchen table!) so you can show parents. Advertise in more unconventional ways than just kijiji, etc. (I always fall back on good old flyers, when I am really looking for clientele)
    If it gets really tight, try offering more flexible options that is typical in your area. In short, make yourself stand out from the crowd.
    And don't worry about the petty people around you. **Karma!!**

Euphoric !
    That's horrible, but if you report the caregivers who are breaking the law who have over 5 children to the Ministry then I guess there will be families looking for care! I agree with MominAlberta that my website is saturated with pictures of all the things we do and it really shows people how much I do with the children, no question about it.

And I also agree that you shouldn't let the petty people pull you down, stand proud and confident and don't stoop to their level. However, as I mentioned, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong by reporting the ones who are over their limits. That is dangerous for the children and you could be saving a life!

Shy
    Thanks everyone! Im one of the only daycares that keeps to my numbers and have never been mean or awkward with the others. Trust me there is MUCH I could be passing on but Im not that type of person to bad talk others when they too are trying to run their business. Heres to hoping I get an influx of interest soon!

Euphoric !
    Would it help to advertise your daycare as "one of the few in ratio daycares in the area" or something to that effect. Probably not those words for sure but something that includes the rules about daycare and then goes on to say how you always meet the ratios and while the children are with you they ....and list some activities.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Would it help to advertise your daycare as "one of the few in ratio daycares in the area" or something to that effect. Probably not those words for sure but something that includes the rules about daycare and then goes on to say how you always meet the ratios and while the children are with you they ....and list some activities.
    I agree ... I have MANY illegal daycares in my neck of the woods so my website under 'openings' I also address the 'rules' without bashing anyone else!

You could do something like 'As a dedicated professional my program prides it self on self regulation and therefore follows the rules and regulations for private home based childcare by ensuring that there are never more than 5 daycare children in attendance at any one time between the ages of 0-10 years of age' for more information on the rules and regulations of private home childcare click here (and provider a LINK that prospective clients can find more information on the rules to educate themselves and that way they can read on a government site to be wary of anyone whose illegal and the dangers that poses)
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Oh playfelt hit the nail on the head as usual! Great way to rise above the petty people. Positive advertising and always pointing out your best qualities and your great program activities indoors and outdoors is best. Much more effective than the people who only like to belittle others.
    Last edited by Momof4; 10-26-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    That's horrible, but if you report the caregivers who are breaking the law who have over 5 children to the Ministry then I guess there will be families looking for care!
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but since we are discussing illegal home daycares as well...

Recently there was a home daycare in Thornhill that was shutdown due to having 9 kids, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to a provider in the area reporting them.

Here is the article: http://www.yorkregion.com/news/artic...care-crackdown

While I can sympathize about how impossible it is for a home daycare in Ontario to become licensed, she knew she was breaking the rules taking in more than 5 children so I don't feel that bad that she was shutdown.

And as far as the parents being angry with the Ministry for shutting this daycare down, maybe they should stop and consider that this provider was knowingly breaking rules and she is the one they should be mad at!