Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orleans Inquest

Euphoric !

Orleans Inquest

This tragedy has been referred to a few times on the forum under discussions of number of children in care, having playdates, etc. It was because of this that the grey areas were made a little clearer in terms of playdate rules but if nothing else maybe through this inquest we will be able to get some difinitive answers and guidelines. It might also be worth watching the "suggestions" that come out of the inquiry as it might relate to those of us that are private and especially those that have a pool or are considering getting one as well as how this inquiry might tie in with the push to a national daycare system and registrations for all caregivers. Here is the link in today's Ottawa Citizen newspaper:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...371/story.html

I live in Orleans and only about 8 blocks from where the tragedy took place. I don't know any of the people involved but do know that in the weeks that followed our childcare support group was involved with getting answers for us from the ministry on what was acceptable and what was not as up to that point there really weren't defined rules as such and even now there really isn't a list of dos and don'ts but now maybe there will be. At least we will all know where we stand even if we don't like the rules.

thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can't imagine how horrible it is for the parents to drop their child off for care and then never being able to pick him up again. So so sad. Kudo's to them for trying to protect other children in this time of immense grief for them.
    When I joined a registry here in Ontario, they had many saftey hoops I had to jump through in order to be a member of the registry. Since then, I have heard they have become lax in their saftey criteria for new members (no fire safetyinspection or health department visits. I was proud to comply then with their reguirements for the saftely of my dc children (a couple of inspections I had to pay for) and to show the parents I took my role as dc provider very seriously. I am still a member, though not so proud anymore.
    IMO and for myself, if my child was in any daycare, commercial or private, I would want to know their where abouts all the time. If I am going to take my kids on a playdate in another providers backyard, I will tell them parents beforehand and the time we are there. If I take them on a round trip bus ride, I tell the parents the route and time of departure and arrival. I would never take my dc kids to a backyard with a pool. Even if it is protected by a fence I still envision one of them attempting to climb it. It only takes a moment for an accident to happen. If there are new saftely standards that we must comply with as unlicensed providers then I will be happy to make any changes. I would never be able to live with the horror of having a severly injured child or have one die in my care.

Wow. Extreme lack of judgement on this daycare provider's part. It's hard; I'm sure the parents of the little guy did their due diligence, they thoroughly checked out their provider, inspected her home and left him there daily with the knowledge that he was safe. Perhaps they even turned away other day homes because they had a pool. And then this happened, an event out of their control. How very sad. And the punishment...$2,000 and 12months probation? Ticked off parents? Rightly so!

That said, I do have a pool (inground) in my backyard, it is fenced in (along with our trampoline behind a 6ft fence, made to be impossible to climb) away from the rest of our yard, has a locked gate (padlock, which only comes off on non-daycare hours) as well as an alarm that goes off if anything goes in it when our secure lock (the winter cover...the one elephants can walk on) cover is not on. Am I paranoid much?! I certainly am. Would my daycare kids get anywhere past that gate...heck no!!! Almost did not buy the house because of the pool.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Yeah, we actually passed up many a house because they had pools in our recent househunting. I am extremely paranoid about this and would not be at ease even with my own young children. However, I also recognize that if you are a diligent caregiver who never leaves the children unsupervised and the pool is gated and locked as yours is, it is probably okay. For me it just wasn't worth the risk or the stress. This is such a sad story and my heart goes out to the family...and the daycare providers involved as I know if a child died on my watch I would not be able to live with myself. This is why playdates with caregivers have been banned...and while I would love some adult company, I do understand the reason. 22 children, no matter how many adults, can get pretty chaotic and one has to be very diligent to keep track of your own five. I actually leave the park when it gets too busy for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    Wow. Extreme lack of judgement on this daycare provider's part. It's hard; I'm sure the parents of the little guy did their due diligence, they thoroughly checked out their provider, inspected her home and left him there daily with the knowledge that he was safe. Perhaps they even turned away other day homes because they had a pool. And then this happened, an event out of their control. How very sad. And the punishment...$2,000 and 12months probation? Ticked off parents? Rightly so!

That said, I do have a pool (inground) in my backyard, it is fenced in (along with our trampoline behind a 6ft fence, made to be impossible to climb) away from the rest of our yard, has a locked gate (padlock, which only comes off on non-daycare hours) as well as an alarm that goes off if anything goes in it when our secure lock (the winter cover...the one elephants can walk on) cover is not on. Am I paranoid much?! I certainly am. Would my daycare kids get anywhere past that gate...heck no!!! Almost did not buy the house because of the pool.

Outgoing
    We have a pool, but the gates are always locked, and I would never take my daycare children for a swim. They are not allowed in the pool area at all...ever. Even when I only had my granddaughter here in the summer, we only went swimming when there were two adults present. I spent many years lifeguarding, and even though I'm a very strong swimmer, I don't even swim myself unless my hubby is sitting on by the pool watching me. I wait until he comes home from work, hand him a beer, and ask him to drink it by the pool so I can swim.

Euphoric !
    This makes me incredibly sad. Playfelt, I think it's amazing that you and your support group got involved and are trying to educate others. Hopefully you can get through to some parents who have children in dangerous situations who can be saved from harm.

This kind of news story is the reason I don't think anyone should ever feel afraid to report a caregiver who is obviously over their limits. Mind you, if you see someone with 7 or 8 or 9 children, then some of them are probably their own children. However, when you get over 10 children with a caregiver, there is something illegal going on. I know some people have no problem caring for 9 children but I wouldn't want to do it. I couldn't do it safely so I wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    This makes me incredibly sad. Playfelt, I think it's amazing that you and your support group got involved and are trying to educate others. Hopefully you can get through to some parents who have children in dangerous situations who can be saved from harm.

This kind of news story is the reason I don't think anyone should ever feel afraid to report a caregiver who is obviously over their limits. Mind you, if you see someone with 7 or 8 or 9 children, then some of them are probably their own children. However, when you get over 10 children with a caregiver, there is something illegal going on. I know some people have no problem caring for 9 children but I wouldn't want to do it. I couldn't do it safely so I wouldn't do it.
    9? How do they do it? I get exhausted with the 6 I have (one's mine)!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Did it for over 10 years - mom to four of my own. Your own gradually get spread out age and needs wise so it isn't 9 infants/toddlers so it sounds worse than it really is. There were a few years when it was rough till they got into school but after that my older ones were a help by doing stuff with the babies, holding hands, helping to supervise etc. at the park so more eyes on the little ones.

Starting to feel at home...
    Honestly, I am the most paranoid person ever!! I will not put my daughter in a home daycare or licensed daycare that doesn't have cameras. If I were to put her in a home daycare it would be someone on this forum because I feel like I have grown to know and trust the lovely women on here. Of course you still have to do your research. I feel so bad for those parents. I can't imagine that happening to my family. I think I would lose my mind. The only thing that would keep me strong and going would be if I had a second child that needed me. This is so depressing. Looking at the picture of that poor little boy makes my heart ache. If I were the caregiver I would feel terrible......but I wouldn't be that caregiver. I would not take my daycare to a "get together" like that. So many things wrong with the whole situation.
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang