Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    If this were a child who was already trained and had been for some time and then started pooping or peeing in his pants out of anger or manipulation etc (ruling out any physical illness or cause), then I would agree with you. But for a child who is not yet trained, I don't think they fully understand. They have always been allowed to do it before, why all of a sudden they are punished for it? I just think it sets it off on the wrong path. I agree with encouragement, motivation, pushing through positive ways (the parents could try leaving the child with no pants for a long weekend and watch like a hawk and get him to to toilet when he starts to pee etc). I just don't believe in punishing a child for something he/she has always been allowed to do and now that he is of a certain age he is suddenly not allowed to do and it becomes an issue of shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    In my defense .... When a child CHOOSES to pee/poo in his pants cause he knows the difference and knows the triggers within his body that tells him he has to use the bathroom that is not an accident, that is a choice. The same as a when child takes a toy from another child, or pushes another child or throws sand on his friend .... that is a choice and you would give a child a tine out for doing that so why not for defecating in his pants when he clearly knows how to do it. The original poster said "he knows when it's coming cause he goes and hides and then demands to be changed". He knows what he is doing is wrong but he's doing it anyway so punish him for it.

Euphoric !
    I totally agree! I would not be putting him in underwear either! Parents need to do it...they need to be pressured to initiate it at home!

Quote Originally Posted by Other Mummy View Post
    My line of thinking is the same Crayola....I'm kinda old school regarding potty training. I believe pullups are glorified diapers marketed as a stepping stone to potty traing. DCM throws a few pull ups in his bag, yet sends him in a diaper in the morning. So I know they are not fully onboard for potty training, otherwise wouldent' he show up every morning in a pull up (if you believe in them, which I do not).

I don't want this to become a power struggle with dcb. But that's what it is when he poops 2 min. after crying/whining that he does not want to go potty and then demands to be changed. He told me he rather play and does not like the potty. He does not want to sit on the potty. Period.

Yes, I'm sure I can "train" him. Do I want to? Hell no. I do enough for dcf as it is. I provide a loving, enriching environment. I kiss his boo-boos. I spend hours doing crafts every week, I make sure he brushes his teeth after lunch before nap. This is the same dcm that drops her kids off everyday while she was off for 3 months and picked them up everyday at 6:00. The same mom that sends her kids here when they are sick with fever, dirrehea, etc. (BTW...I always send them back home when I learn that they are ill, like an hour or two into care or refuse care when they are ill).

My point is...dcm is LAZY to parent her own children. Not sure if she would pay the extra fee. My hunch is she will cause she knows she is NOT going to find better care than what I provide for her two children. But Potty training commando style (underwear) is NOT happening at my house for this child. I'm already pulling out my hair already. He will poop and pee underwear. He is that strong willed and defiant. DCM needs to do this commando style training at HER house. On HER Carpets, floors, couches, etc. She doesn't pay me nearly enough to do it here.

Euphoric !
    I always find the children who are morning and night poopers are the ones with the parents who are really trying hard to train them. They see the size and problem of a 3 year old poop in a pullup!

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    A friend of mine potty trained her child because of an increase in fees at her daycare. She was in centre care and her son was aging out of one room, and the next room up only allowed potty trained children. So the centre was going to levy a monthly fee on her for the additional hardship on the staff in the new room since they were not supposed to be changing diapers. I know your situation is sort of different but you wouldn't be the only person/caregiver to do this. Her son was turning 3 I think.

Commando style training isn't great for a daycare situation but undies with plastic pants over top or specialty cloth training pants work great. I used them for my own son. You could tell the mom that from now on for potty training pulls up and diapers are not allowed and the child will have to come in waterproof undies. I think that doing the laundry of a poopy underpant rolled up in a shopping bag might prove to be an incentive for her even more than paying extra.. lol. If they bring him in a diaper/pull up in the morning simpily ask them to please change him into his undies for the day.

Euphoric !
    To answer your original question, I charge the same amount for children of all ages, even babies. All ages have their own special challenges so I can't differentiate between ages.

Euphoric !
    I have heard of some care givers that have it in their contract that children must be trained by their third birthday . If the child is not trained by the time they turn three the parent must take the week off(or two if that's what it takes) and train them and fees are still due.