Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Early Potty Training

I have a family with a 16 month old in care.
    She has just sent me a message saying that she wants to 'talk to me about potty training...he poops and pees when they place him on the potty'. Oh Jeez. Im am not willing to go there.
    I replied back, 'thats great he poops and pees for you guys!' and did not agree to anything.
    Any ideas on what to say to her when she comes to pick him up today.
    i want to say 'until the child is old enough to tell me they need to pee, or at least until they are dry at home for at least 2 weeks will I try this'. I am not taking the time to place the child on the potty every hour and wait and wait and wait until they go. I have other children I need to watch and cannot commit to the time training a 16 month will take.
    And would this even be called 'potty training?' It sounds more liek 'elimination training' to me.
    Is this fair to say that? I have helped to potty train an 18 month old last year, but she was speaking and saying yes or no when I asked if she needed to go and was alot more developed physically and mentally than this little boy is.
    The other 2 children I have potty training are 2.5 yrs and can tell me when they need to go etc. PLUS this little boy poops 3-4 times a day!!

any input you can provide would be great, thanks girls!

Euphoric !
    Yeah, the child would need to be able to communicate in some way that he has to poop or pee and be able to at least make some effort in being able to get his own pants off and on. I think your initial reaction of telling them you will not try it until he has been dry at home for a couple of weeks, is correct. I would also tell them he needs to be able to stay dry for periods of time (at least 1.5 hours at a time) as you can't take him every hour. If he is actually full trained at home and able to communicate, I would give it a try, but would make sure to let the parents know it is different at daycare and he may not do as well. I had an 18 month old who was trained at home and able to communicate very well, but I had a really hard time with her...she would refuse to use the toilet and then pee on the floor etc. But that was her personality...it did make me a bit hesitant to start training too early though...parents may be ready, but is the child really ready?

Outgoing
    Well I have these parents who do elemination trainning (she is 18monthand just started over a month ago with me ) and I told them that I would put her on the potty whenever I do diaper changes which is at the same time everyday ( Unless BM then ofcourse I change the diaper ). If she asks to go then I do put her on but she never acutaly asked over here yet but does go in the toilet when I but her on most of the time. It's not a big deal for me I sit her on the potty, change anoher childs diaper so she as time to go but then we put the diaper back on. The parents are ok with my approach and I keep them updated of her success or not. That's as far as I go with it and the parents know. It,s been working well so far...