Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Remembrance Day - do you take it off?

My kids are off school on November 12 in lieu of Remembrance Day and I'd like to take the day off as well. What is the norm for this stat in the home daycare world? Thanks!

Shy
    I believe its only a stat day for the government employees. My husband has to work ( private sector) and I will still be taking my kids.
    If you want to take it, let your families know now so they have ample time to make other care arrangements.

Euphoric !
    I have found that it is about 50/50 for those who have to work it and those who do not. It is NOT a stat across the board, that much I know.
    I have it in my contract that I will either take it off, or stay open and take off Christmas Eve in lieu of. I have all the regular closure days listed in my parent handbook.

Euphoric !
    I have it in my contract that it is a Stat day for me but since it falls on a Sunday today I will not be taking another day in lieu of. Schools don't close around here that I know of no matter what day it is. My hubby is military so have always taken it off with the idea that in some years he was involved in parades and ceremonies and it left me free to go with him if I wanted to.

I believe this is now only a 'Federal' observed holiday ... aka Federal employees or industries overseen by the Federal government so not a Provincial Stat for Ontario anymore ... so I work it.

My spouse too was in Military and had it off for decades and is retired and moved on now to RCMP which is 'open' but they give him the day off as a personal day since he was Military transfer and not a Civilian hire so he can attend the services as a Veteran ~ we typically go as a family and daycare 'field trip' and the daycare children and I make a big collaged poppy to lay at the memorial to thank those who've served or given their lives to keep us safe over the years.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

If it falls during the week I shut things down here. Even though it's not "technically" a Stat holiday, I list it in my contract as one of my Stat holidays (never had anyone complain) This year, I won't be taking any time off since Rememberance Day falls on a Sunday. I made this choice though partly because I have to close for a day in January (dental surgery) and I didn't want my parents to have to use up two of their vacation days. =)

I am open here!

My families all work for the federal government. Would they be getting the Monday off since it falls on a Sunday? (I ask hopefully )

Outgoing
    Not a "stat" here in Ontario unless you work for the government or the bank.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmic View Post
    My families all work for the federal government. Would they be getting the Monday off since it falls on a Sunday? (I ask hopefully )
    Just asked hubby and he says yes he gets Monday off because stat is on the Sunday. I will be open the monday though although 2 of my parents likely get the day off too as they are federal employees.