Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

Offering a Second Choice?

If you had a picky eater in care would you offer a second choice whenever they didnt like something?
    Part of me wants my picky eater to not wast food and be open to trying new things and part of me hates to see her go hungry when she turns her nose up at something. (which is mostly everyday)

It's so hard seeing them not eat. My philosophy, no second choice. For mine there is usually something they like at one of the snacks if they don't like lunch. I started out offering a second choice...and word to the wise; toddlers will always want what someone else has. I am also very clear about this to parents; my goal for my daycare children is to learn and be exposed to new things (that includes food). I had one parent offer to bring in food from home...don't do it. I read wise words on here once "it's simply our job to OFFER healthy food and snacks, not our job to force it in them". Little things that work for me, give them something to dip into & very small portions...by that I mean 2 tiny pieces of things.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Nope ~ I do not cater to picky eater syndrome cause it only makes it worse!

Children are provided a wide variety of healthy nutritional choices at regular intervals during the day, they are invited to the table and expected to keep us company ... if and how much they eat while they are there is their choice and if they choose to not eat than they are truly not 'hungry' enough to eat.

Honestly IMO children in North America need to be TAUGHT that they are lucky and blessed to have the option to have healthy nutrition foods to choose from .... to 'turn their nose up' at something and wait for the next meal hoping it is something more to their liking is a first world spoiled habit .... do we honestly think that our ancestors had 'picky children' and that after days of hunting and gathering and all dad came home with was another 'squirrel' that the little toddlers at the table said 'ew gross I am holding out for a chicken nugget'??? Or today with all our advances in agriculture and WASTE in North America do we think that children in third world countries are PICKY eaters ... that their half rotten rice and meat if they are lucky gets turned away?

I honestly do not understand why in North America we worry so much about a child missing 'just a meal or two' cause they CHOOSE not to eat something like it is the end our their world? Our children have no CLUE what it means to be truly HUNGRY which is why they CAN choose to turn their nose up at something ... IMO the worst thing we can do for our children is allow them to grow up basically starving from malnutrition but thinking they are FULL and therefore their hunger need is met because we allow them to fill up on crap processed foods that are easy to palette and actually addictive in their sugary natures rather than allowing them to go a wee bit 'hungry' a few times so they can learn to palette healthy foods that will allow them to thrive for a whole lifetime!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    No I don't offer other choices

Euphoric !
    No options on lunch here but having said that if what I made for lunch didn't go over so well then I plan a more substantial snack for after nap to somewhat compensate with the idea they don't go home starving.

Outgoing
    No. No second choices here. They have to do their best. When I know it's a not a favourite for the whole gang, I'll plan a heartier dessert....always healthy, but something like a banana instead of an apple....
    One guy really can't stand tomatoes. He's tried and tried and just can't do it, so he'll get extra cucumbers on those days, but that's about as flexible as I get.

I'm pretty much in the same group of thinking..."no second choices here either". I serve them healthy nutritious meals. Once in awhile we will have chicken nuggets or pizza. If a child does not like their lunch then they need to wait until snack. I have one dcb who hardly ever eats his lunch. No matter what I serve. He is starving come snack time. He wakes up from nap asking for snack. That's fine. I don't do "special" here. If you don't like what I serve, you need to wait for the next snack/meal.

Euphoric !
    Another issue too is what is served for snack is the same portion size as everyone else so if you are "starving" because you didn't eat your lunch it doesn't mean you get a double serving to make up for it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I ask parents to fill out a form telling me foods their child will not eat and I try to avoid those things to make life easier because i too stress over thinking a child is hungry. I will be more flexible in the beginning as I determine what foods a child likes and dislikes. Kids are no different than adults and will have foods they dislike so why feed it to them if you know they dont like it. After the initial transition has taken place I dont offer alternatives. I currently have a 2 y/o girl who is the pickiest eater i have ever had. She will eat pasta with tomato sauce one day and clean her plate and then refuse to eat it the following week. she does this with everything. One day i made grilled cheese and she ate so fast, i was amazed because she is also a very slow eater so I thought I'd found a winner. Next time i served grilled cheese she wouldnt even touch it. she has a very stubborn streak in her and i refuse to play eating games, so i offer her a smaller portion of food and if she eats and wants more i give her more but when she refuses to even take a bite i dont stress over it and at least i'm wasting less food.

Quote Originally Posted by KingstonMom View Post
    If you had a picky eater in care would you offer a second choice whenever they didnt like something?
    Part of me wants my picky eater to not wast food and be open to trying new things and part of me hates to see her go hungry when she turns her nose up at something. (which is mostly everyday)

Outgoing
    Nope, I only cook one meal, I am not a short order cook. I have two picky eaters and they have not eaten lunch for the last two days. I only ask that they try it but these two won't even do that so I guess they will be hungry. These are not new foods either. I have no patience for children that are 4 and almost 3 that won't even try something, instead they kick the table, scream, cry and flap their arms. Nope, doesn't work here.