Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Vacation over statutory days

My policy is all stat days are paid, and I've read on here that if I take a holiday over a stat day (eg. 1 week at Xmas) that I should be paid for the 2 stat days. My question is what if the families take vacation over stat days. So if they choose to take xmas week off, would they pay for the 25th and 26th? I currently give my FT families 1 week of vacation with no fees. And if they do pay for the stats, should they be entitled to get an extra 2 days off since Xmas is a short week? Just wanted to know what others are doing. Thanks!

IMO it would all depend on how you have worded this to cover yourself in your contracts with your current clients?

So for example for Xmas stats I have it worded as:

 I have been notified that the program is closed for the Christmas period as of my regular pick up time on December 23rd and reopens on the first business day after the New Year unless otherwise notified in writing. All statutory holidays payments are due during this closure period and any statutory holidays that take place on a weekend will be taken on a weekday in lieu. Provider will provide clients with a reminder of fees due leading up to the Christmas closure – all fees or posted dated cheques for fees are to be provided before the Christmas closure.
    So yes I am paid for the 3 stat holidays during this period ... Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day.

I also have it worded elsewhere in my contract about 'other stats' ...

'Please note that if an observed statutory holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday when the program is normally closed than the Monday will be taken off paid in lieu and regular program hours will resume on the Tuesday'
    Payment for anytime CLIENTS are on vacation is due in full based on the space they have committed to ~ so this would also include any 'stats' that fall while they might be absent.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I am like Reggio...parents pay for all stats (they are all listed in the contract including the day actually taken, so I have listed the holiday and beside it the day of closure if the stat falls on a weekend) and I do not give parents free vacation days, so this issue would never come up for me. As Reggio said, the key is to have this already clearly spelled out in your contract so you have something to refer to.

Hmm, I've stated in my policies that vacation time is 5 days unpaid and should be taken as a full week, eg. Mon-Fri. What would you do in my case? Should they pay no fee for the whole week including stats or pay the stats and take the balance of the week another time? Either way, it's the same loss of income for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2angels View Post
    Hmm, I've stated in my policies that vacation time is 5 days unpaid and should be taken as a full week, eg. Mon-Fri. What would you do in my case? Should they pay no fee for the whole week including stats or pay the stats and take the balance of the week another time? Either way, it's the same loss of income for me.
    IMO if in your contract it states the above than NO I would not charge them if a stat falls during that time frame and just count the 5 days as their vacation including the 'stat' ... after all you still get to be closed and get your 'day off' so your need is met. IMO if make them pay the stat and than you let them take the balance at another time it could open the door to problems as it 'contravenes' your requirement to take the vacation in a one week Mon-Fri increment and will set precedent for later interpretation of clients that well you let me break my vacation up last year and use an extra day here or there so why can I not do it this year and so forth ... personally your clients should be grateful to just be getting unpaid vacation days cause i personally find it way to hard to budget for sudden loss of income this practice results in so clients do not get 'unpaid vacation' on their end ... they pay for the space they occupy.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    My holidays to parents are broken down into summer (July/Aug) options and school year (Sept - JUne). They get two weeks in the summer and 5 days school year as unpaid time. If they use the days at Christmas to have a full week off fine but I would still be paid for the Stats since those are closed days so they would only use 3 days for that week. Days are intended for use when a child is sick and kept home to encourage them to do that. They tend to use them at Christmas and then have to pay me in the winter when kids are sick. Either works fine for me and I get a week off at Christmas without closing.

For the summer I allow them to use the July, Aug, Sept holiday days as part of their vacation time so I don't get paid for the day but they also lose a vacation day for it. Most families book their time to go over a long weekend to give them maximum days. I don't allow this for any of the other Sept-June stats. They are paid and I am closed end of story.

Euphoric !
    I don't allow any clients to have unpaid vacation days either. They pay full fees unless I'm closed for a week of vacation, period, easy, no questions ever.