Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Dressing for play!

As most of you know, I have a set of twins in my care. They are of pretty average size, maybe a bit smaller than most their age. My problem is that lately the dad has been dressing the boys in pants that are too big for them....literally, the pants are falling off their wee bums. I am constantly pulling their pants up and lately, I have taken to changing them into a pair of pants that I know fit them in the waist (even if they are a tad smaller in length) once they get here and then changing them back into the pants they came in at pick up so that I always have pants that fit them here.
    Mom has had conversations with me at pick up (dad gets them ready in the morning and does drop off) about what the boys are wearing (mostly about missing items like shoes or she laughs because what they are wearing doesn't exactly match).
    Most of the boys clothes are second hand, so sometimes the waist is stretched on pants that should fit them, but most of the time it is because the dad puts them in clothes that are too big for them. He has sent them in clothes labeled size 3T or 24months, when they are just beginning to fit 18month pants.
    It seems that they just put all the clothes in one drawer and dont seperate them due to size, so they are always wearing different sized clothing.
    It is a safety hazard as they are always tripping on their pants as they are falling off their bums or they are walking on their pants and trip. Today I had one of the boys pull his pants right off with out any trouble. I changed his pants before nap time as I do not want him to do this during nap time and then pull off his diaper.

Should I mention something to the mom or should I just continue to do what I'm doing?

If I was truly concerned I would mention what I am observing to the parent about the 'challenges' the child is facing with tripping and so forth and than add 'I am not sure if it might be because the pants are too big because I have noticed that when he wears other style of clothes his balance is much better' and help them make the connections cause well they honestly might not realize that the clothes are a safety issue for their child and posing it this way does it in a manner that is not 'accusatory' or anything just an 'observation' so to speak?

I had a client once who kept sending their child in 'cute shoes' cause well they had a value about fashion over practicality .... however the poor thing was constantly tripping and falling so on every accident report under 'action plan to avoid re-occurrence' I would write 'strongly suggest sturdy running shoes for outdoor play to improve balance' cause seriously running and playing in little 'kitten healed' shoes when you are 2 or 3 is NOT IDEAL ... and it took mom a couple nasty head bumps for her to finally go out and get some proper runners for 'daycare' and whola no more accidents
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

apples and bananas
    I would absolutly mention it to mom. But I would do it in a funny kind of "oh, look what dad did, how do they function without us" way. Maybe mention on a case by case basis.

" I think daddy pulled the wrong clothes out of the drawer for little timmy today, he kept tripping on the hems"

And I would continue to mention things to her. After a while she'll get the hint. When I used to travel for work I would leave out 5 days worth of clothes for my husband. That way there were no questions, he just put on what was ready for them.

Euphoric !
    Yeah... I wouldn't make it a gigantic deal, but I would mention it. You can do the "oh, silly Daddies!" tactic.
    If it doesn't change, I would just keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you have an extra, properly fitting pair and do a quick change.
    I know my kids all go through awkward phases where it seems like no size properly fits them. Or that only one pair of pants fits right. I would not make it a big thing, because it could be a money issue?

Outgoing
    Oh, I definitely dont want to make a big deal out of it, but it is a concern for me. It is just annoying as I am constantly having to pull up their pants or roll up the hem. It's like he doensn't look at what he has put on the boys before leaving the house.
    I will try a direct approach, as I am still waiting for slippers to be brought to daycare for the boys as well. They are constantly slipping in their socks, and all my reminders have not made a difference.

Euphoric !
    I would definitely mention it to the parents as well whenever they have been brought in too big pants...in fact, I would not change them back into them for pick-up...instead hand them to the parents and tell them they were causing them to trip. Sometimes rolling them over a coupole of times at the waist helps keep them up too (my son is very slim and I have to do this sometimes).

I had a slim waisted little guy too. I suggested the pants with the adjustable waistbands would be a good option for him. I told Mom he has to stop play all the time to hitch up his pants which became stressful for him. Sometimes he would pull his pants off in frustration. She got them and I had a much happier dcb.

Outgoing
    Thanks everyone!
    Sunnydays- I have been doing that, but sometimes that doesn't even help!

Euphoric !
    Could you talk to mom with the idea that you know dad's dont' always read labels or notice details like how long the pants are and would it be possible to get some more size appropriate clothes for their bin so that they have something to wear and suggest when you send the too big clothes home that they put them aside so they don't get chosen again till they will actually fit - kind of like telling them what to do cause it sounds like it hasn't occurred to them to sort by size.

Euphoric !
    I have a little guy who is always losing his pants because he's so skinny. Elasticized waistbands and a soft belt are helping him tremendously. Also, the parents realized that they were buying his clothes way too big. So he's turning 2, if a 1 year old size doesn't fall off, but a 3 year old size falls off, for pete sake keep him in the 1 year old size!