Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

Pets in a day home

do you have pets? how are they dealt with during daycare hours?

Outgoing
    Yup, I am a pet friendly daycare. I have 2 dogs that are around the kids all the time, 1 cat who hides, frogs in a tank for the daycare kids to look at and my son has a bearded dragon. On our way outside to the back door the kids always stop and say to him.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a dog, he is not permitted to enter out daycare room but he is allowed to be with the children when we are upstairs for lunch. He also has his own fenced in space in the backyard so that I dont need to be conserned about his "output".

I have 2 small dogs that are always around. The kids love them, and the dogs love the kids. The dogs are a part of our family and if a family didn't approve they'd have to find care elsewhere. We also have fish and 2 fat tailed geckos.

We have two cats, 3 rats, 3 chickens and a python. None of our pets are in the daycare area, although the children are permitted to touch/pet/play with the animals under supervision. I'm not the type to trust animals alone with children, so unless I'm there to directly monitor the interaction I prefer no interaction.

I'm not a dog person myself and have never used a home daycare that had dogs because of that.

I also tell people we have cats prior to interviews because we (obviously) wouldn't get rid of our pets for a DCK, and wouldn't expect a daycare to alter their pet's routines for us either. It simply is not a good fit and another care would be.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Euphoric !
    When I started doing childcare, we only had outdoor cats (necessary to keep the mice under control). 2 weeks ago, we got 2 adult dogs. They are labs, so do great with kids (we tested with our own kids first, obviously). The amount of time they spend with dc kids is limited, and depends on who is there that day.

I have a small toy poodle. She loves kids, when they are not trying to hit her but she needs to get used to them when they start. She normally sleeps during the day and I have to put her food away so the babies don't eat it or spill the water.
    The kids love to play with her and it teaches them to be gentle.
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

I have a golden retriever/black lab, a fat cat and lots of fish and a couple of frogs. My daycare parents have never had an issue with me having a dog. I was very upfront from the moment I first spoke with them. My dog is allowed around the children, but often she is outside or away from them, because it's the little ones who can be rough to her. My fish tanks are in the daycare room and the kids love the fish and feeding the fish.

We don't have any pets as of yet...but we sometimes take care of my in-laws dog - she's a yellow lab, and is getting old. An outdoor dog (a farm dog), so she's not allowed in the house, and if my hubby isn't home, she's either in the garage or she's tied to a rope.

Hubby would LOVE to get a dog...we'll see!

All my dckids have pets at home, so it's not a problem for us to have pets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    All my dckids have pets at home, so it's not a problem for us to have pets here.
    When I used home daycare for my own children we had a shepherd/lab mix but I still wouldn't use a home daycare with a dog. Although, obviously that's not the case for your family, but something to consider. I trust no dog around my children unless I know it well, no matter how friendly the owners say it is. I think I have high standards of how dogs should behave and most people I know don't though. LOL. Think Cesar Milan and Brad Pattison standard of behaviour, lol.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~