Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

How should I handle this situation???

So after alot of thought and consideration since the incident i had with my previous client, I will be permanently closing my home daycare once my second baby is born in may.

I have one client left and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to give her the news. Its her first experience with daycare and i have a good bond with her and her daughter so i want to be as fair as possible. I'm worried also about how her daughter will adjust to a new daycare. She is developmentally delayed in many ways basically a 1.5 yr old in a 1 year olds body but her mom really doesn't think she has a problem. I've seen her rationalize many times why her daughter is not on track and i think its doing her daughter a huge disservice. Is there any way i can approach this subject with the mom or should i just leave it alone? Also when should I tell her I'm pregnant? I'm almost at 3 months and will be having the first ultrasound next week. Should i tell her I'm pregnant and tell her I'm closing at the same time, or is that too much? I want to give her enough notice but not enough that she pulls out right away. How should i handle this situation?

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by tstep8 View Post
    So after alot of thought and consideration since the incident i had with my previous client, I will be permanently closing my home daycare once my second baby is born in may.

I have one client left and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to give her the news. Its her first experience with daycare and i have a good bond with her and her daughter so i want to be as fair as possible. I'm worried also about how her daughter will adjust to a new daycare. She is developmentally delayed in many ways basically a 1.5 yr old in a 1 year olds body but her mom really doesn't think she has a problem. I've seen her rationalize many times why her daughter is not on track and i think its doing her daughter a huge disservice. Is there any way i can approach this subject with the mom or should i just leave it alone? Also when should I tell her I'm pregnant? I'm almost at 3 months and will be having the first ultrasound next week. Should i tell her I'm pregnant and tell her I'm closing at the same time, or is that too much? I want to give her enough notice but not enough that she pulls out right away. How should i handle this situation?
    Hi there - first of all, congrats on your new little one ! Very exciting. I hope that you have a smooth pregnancy and an easy time of it come D-day. I emphasize with your professional position. I guess you have to ask yourself when can you afford to lose the income. My experience has been that once you tell parents that you will be closing shop, they will (not unreasonably) begin their search for a new caregiver ASAP. Once they have found someone that they like they will pull their child from your care and transfer them over to the new caregiver. While I can anticipate the cringing that may occur from other caregivers on this site, what I think I would do is sit in the weeds on this one. Maybe "go public" with your pregnancy somewhere around the end of your 4th month (use the excuse that you wanted to make sure everything was good before you told non-family members) I would not tell her that you're thinking of getting out of the daycare business at the same time. Just inform her about your pregnancy. At that point in time, try to buy yourself some time - "I haven't made any decisions yet, but I will let you know no later than February (or whatever month you select) what my plans are" As long as your client has a few weeks to find another caregiver, I think that's fair. It may sound harsh, but part of being self employed is you have to be willing to balance your own best interests with the desire to not inconvenience people. Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do !

I would let her know you are pregnant once you can "safely" say, you are pregnant, I'd say shortly after 3 months, too long and she may be a little insulted or confused as to why you didn't tell her sooner. I would try and wait a little longer to tell her you plan to close if at all possible.....don't lie but try and hold off with "uncertainty" for at least a few months. (we do have to do what is in our best interest as far as the business end) although do keep in mind, this lady is new to the day care field therefor may take her a while to find a proper replacement. If anything maybe let her know for sure by 6 months that you plan to close, giving her 3 months to find someone and hopefully she will understand and be able to accomidate your income as long as possible with out leaving you high and dry. Good luck. and CONGRATS on the pregnancy! Sure everything will work out for the best.