Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Really random comment from dcp

So today, out of the blue, my one and only dcp who's been amazing thus far, told me that some days my house smells like poo. We weren't talking about anything related to smells to diapers or anything - she just comes out with: "Adelaide, I have to tell you, some days when I come here, your house smells like poo." And just to help you with the tone of that, until she said the word "poo", I honestly thought she was going to say that it smelled like something good. I was a little shocked, especially when her son hadn't had a dirty diaper today, I had taken out the trash AND I have a scentsy going all day in the kitchen (right near the door) so I don't know why my house should smell bad. I was also shocked because I don't think I'd ever say that to someone. I've babysat at places that do smell like diapers and I've never said anything. I feel insulted. I asked my husband when he came home if he thought our house smelled like poo today or any other day because I thought maybe since I'm in the house all day that I don't notice it but he said no. I just don't get it and find it very bizarre. Again, otherwise, she's been amazing so I just don't know how to take this. Any thoughts? Maybe I'm missing something?

I would have been very insulted. I would have had another trusted friend or family member come over and see if they could smell "poo". I don't know how I would have answered her. Especially since your hubby didn't smell it. That is so strange

Really...she called it "Poo" I hate that word.

If my house smells like poo, and yes sometimes it does, I do notice it. I'm sure you would too especially when you are coming in after being outside with the kiddies. Maybe she is just someone with a very keen sense of smell. When the weather permits, I am always airing out the daycare area. I prefer not to use spray scents or any other smell cover up as they bother me. In the winter, I keep the furnace fan going all the time (using the same energy as a low wattage light bulb) which helps with all odours. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it, it is just part of the business.

Expansive...
    That's when my "smart-ass-mouth" would have been used...

"Adelaide, I have to tell you, some days when I come here, your house smells like poo."

"well, YOUR kid is here....all day long!!" smile smile

5min before 1st parents are to arrive I light a oil candle by the entrance just in case but in any case, that's just rude! Considering I'm changing their kids smelly "POO" (eyeroll)
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Wow ... ok I will admit that 'poo' or stale kid pee smell is something I am very sensitive to smell ~ I do not even keep the diapers IN my house the minute I change the diapers they get put in a plastic bag and once they are all changed it gets tied up and thrown outside in a bin which at the end of the day is transferred to the outside garbage pail

Once again this is one of those times I wish more people would ask before they speak 'is what I am about to say helpful or hurtful statement' because honestly what was the 'motive' behind sharing that with you ... what did she expect you to say or do with that?

If she had said something like 'Hey Adelaide I just wanted to let you know I am a wee bit concerned because it ALWAYS seems to smell like poo in the house and while I get that sometimes it will cause the kids have just pooed and it takes a minute for that to diffuse it really seems to already smell like that even in the morning and well I was wondering if you needed a new Diaper genie cause I have a spare maybe that would help' cause a statement like THAT would still be RUDE but at least it would have been in helpful manner ~ aka she was offering a solution at least instead of just being down right rude and unhelpful?

But seriously we work with young children who are often not trained so of course sometimes our house smells like POO ... if a child has JUST pooed no amount of candle or Scentsy ( which BTW I love myself) is going to immediately diffuse that
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I would have said 'well good grief, part of my job is changing poopy diapers so I guess that makes complete sense' Then I would have wanted to say 'don't let the door hit you in your smart ass on the way out'!!!

I use Scentsy too and have it going right near the door in my 1/2 bath all day long because my kitty litter is down the hall and up on the landing. Nobody can ever tell I have a cat or smell the litter. But I go into my kitchen where I've been dropping off the poopy diapers all day long and almost pass out from the poo smell by the end of the day and I get it out every night.

Do you have the Scentsy spray? It's really concentrated and covers all other smells so maybe you should give a shot of that just before this not-so-nice-woman picks up her child?

Starting to feel at home...
    Is she pregnant? lol When I was pregnant I could smell EVERYTHING. The only reason I could think of for her rude comment would be if she is pregnant and the "smell" makes her nauseated. Not that it makes it ok.
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Wow ... ok I will admit that 'poo' or stale kid pee smell is something I am very sensitive to smell ~ I do not even keep the diapers IN my house the minute I change the diapers they get put in a plastic bag and once they are all changed it gets tied up and thrown outside in a bin which at the end of the day is transferred to the outside garbage pail
    I too don't keep diapers (not even my daughters) in the house! They go into a extra green 'food' bin that has a garbage bag inside which is in the garage! Not fun changing that bag when it's full poor DH!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFeet View Post
    Is she pregnant? lol When I was pregnant I could smell EVERYTHING. The only reason I could think of for her rude comment would be if she is pregnant and the "smell" makes her nauseated. Not that it makes it ok.
    OOOO....good point! That = me right now!! lol
    I ws never a good smeller...I was a "hear a pin drop" person, so I'd have to physically check each bum every so often to see if they pooped. Now I'm like a hound dog! It's gross

Expansive...
    That's incredibly rude and also my worst nightmare. I am always worried how my house smells when dcps arrive for pickups. i don't want it to smell bad.

Sometimes my hubby comes home and says the house smells like wet chicken or something bad. I know that sometimes I am simmering something on the stove and it can make a strong smell when people walk in.

I also try to air out throughout the day and make sure bathroom fans run a few minutes after each child is in there.

I would have been mortified. I guess she felt she was being helpful by telling you but I can imagine it would be really awkward and feel horrible to hear.