Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy

Something Wrong?

I have on daycare girl left and I'm starting to get very worried about her. There are many things that I observe her doing that just seem "off". I'm not sure if it's just me. She is 18 months old and still cannot balance properly when she walks she leans back as if shes constantly fighting to keep her balance, she has been walking now for about 4 months. Every time she does lose her balance or fall even when it's obvious she hasn't hurt herself she cries for 5 minutes atleast, she doesn't get up on her own, I have to go and put her to standing again. If another child comes to close to her or tries to give her a hug or kiss she cries relentlessyly like they just beat her up. she doesn't talk yet, her mom says she talks a little bit at home but I haven't really heard any words, just baby babble, but if the mom hears her babble and it sounds like a word she thinks shes saying that word even when shes clearly not relating the word to anyting...I dunno. She also seems to have very slow reflexes like if im openening a cupboard or drawer and she is standing in front she doesnt move even if it gets really close to her head she just stares at it. When i ask her to do something like sit on her bum to put her shoes on she just stands there and stares at me. Sometimes she will sit against the wall and just bang her head for atleast 5 minutes. I will move her away from the wall and she goes back and does it again so its obvious she is doing this intentionally. Does anyone think this behavior is unusual? Like I said maybe its just me...?

Euphoric !
    Yes it doesn't seem right to me .... Try putting those observations into google and see what cones up. Maybe autism? I'm not really educated on the different syndromes. I'm not a lot of help but yes it seems off to me.

I too find these behaviors a little "off". I have had MANY kids come through my door that seem to have delays, issues, or down right ODD behaviors. I have racked my brains over questions of delay, learning disabilities, autism or other syndromes. Some of the kids have grown out of the funny habits/quirks and some still behave strangely at the age of 4 and 5. I do think that any diagnosis is tricky to say the least....especially something like autism because there can be such a variance on the "spectrum".....I had a child I took care of from 1 year to 5 and he is off to school now, intelligent and seems to get along well enough with others around him (making for a normal enough life)...but I have always questioned a slight issue, strange behavior over the years, repetitive movements, uncontrolled emotions, (he was the puker...one day just decided to puke every day at lunch all over the table) That to me is far from normal......somethin g def off in that little brain! can he function well enough to make it through life? YES! will he at times be the outcast in school and other social functions? definately! if his parents had brought him in to be tested, I gaurentee they would find something....would it help? maybe. This is just one of many kids I have questioned over the years....are the parents on board with your concerns or are any comments falling on deaf ears? If she is in danger, I would say or do something, if she just seems "off"? take note of her "off" behaviors and have them on hand for future ref but other than that, just provide quality care. That's about all you can do.

Shy
    I think the mom is completely in denial. She actually works with kids who have autiam everyday and she never showed any concerns until her 18 month check up was a few weeks away and she told me she was concerned that her daughter wasn't talking. I was like, finally! But then over the past few weeks she has been saying that she is talking alot more at home and saying many new words (perfect timing!) She will be getting ready to leave and I will hear the girl babbling and the mom will be like thats right thats the wall, and shes like oh she just said wall! and I'm thinking are you serious????? Completely in denial from what I can see. I think it's one of those thing where she's surrounded by kids with difficulties all day so she doesn't see a problem in her own backyard.

Euphoric !
    Oh good grief that sounds just like a parent I interviewed with about two years ago. The 2.5 yr old was not a study walker and didn't say one word not even mama.... They were just beginning with a speech therapist and the parent worked with autistic kids. I think the child had DS but the parent said no. sometimes it's hard to see something wrong with your own kids that others can see so plainly.

Starting to feel at home...
    Remember there is a very "broad" range for meeting developmental milestones. Also odd behaviours at 18mths, is pretty early to be getting worried. When she turns two, rethink it. As her care provider all you can do is provide her with opportunities to grow and learn. If her parents aren't worried, at least you can say you spoke up.
    I have an almost three year old with delays (obvious to me), but mum is not worried. When he starts school, if he still has delays, they will be caught. I'm just doing my best giving him opportunities to practice speaking, repeating after me, using fine motor skills, interacting with the group. It is definitely NOT my job to diagnose. It's is my job to take good care of him and provide him with opportunities to develop.

Euphoric !
    It sounds like you ahve done your part in that you have shared your observations with the mother. That's about all you can/should do in my opinion. We do have to be careful not to be diagnosing kids with anything as we are not doctors and not qualified to make such diagnoses. Kids are all different and it may be normal for that child, but if it is something else, you have done your part.

Expansive...
    It doesn't sound that abnormal to me other than her banging her head. I find that kind of behaviour odd but I know some kids do it or bang their heads on the playpen repeatedly.

I had 2 children in my care who didn't talk from 18 months until 2 years old and then suddenly the flood gates opened. I just kept reading with them and trying to teach them and now they talk my ear off.

Her not moving when the drawer opens could just mean she has no concept that it can hurt her or that she trusts you to keep her from getting hurt.

I have someone in care who people would make comments about when we would go out. People would say that perhaps this child has ADHD or Autism and I brought it up carefully in conversation with the child's mother. The mother went for testing of all sorts and all the child's doctors have said he is just fine - just that everyone is different. The mom was willing to get it checked out but it is definitely a sensitive subject and an area where we have to be careful to because it can be offensive to parents if they are not prepared to hear that something could be off about their beloved child.

Shy
    Im sure as she gets older if something is wrong they will figure it out, I just wish the mother wasn`t in denial and would be more open to trying things that might help her like using proper words for objects like belly instead of bee boo etc, the baby talk is one of the reasons she isnt speaking properly. It drives me nuts when they pick her up and they talk baby talk to her. My daughter has an extremely advanced vocabulary for a 2 year old specifically because we never ever used baby talk. The other stuff is just odd I guess, maybe it`s just the way she is maybe she will grow out of it. Obviously I`m not a Doctor and I`m not trying to diagnose her with anything, I just want to try and make things better for her. So she can get on track.

Shy
    At times their choices are questionable too, for example they bring her to daycare with a diaper rash so bad that it is actually bleeding so I tell them don`t bring her until you find out what is causing her rash to be so bad, they bring her back the next day and say her rash has `cleared up alot`when its still bleeding every change. Recently we have been having alot of bad weather in Southern Ontario, horrible wind and rain and the mom brings her to me in a hoodie and says oh I hope you will take them outside for a walk today....Um no I won`t be taking them for a walk today its pooring rain and there`s a wind warning for 65km/hr winds. I just don`t get people sometimes.