Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Picky eaters

Outgoing

Picky eaters

What do you do about picky eaters? If they dont like what you are serving do you make them something else or do they go without?

Expansive...
    I serve them small portions and then they can ask for more if they like it. I try to serve some fruit or cucumber slices along on days where I think I might get a lot of turned up nosed.

I never serve them something else besides what I have for them though. I try to tell parents this either when I meet with them and in my guidelines. I am not going to force anyone to eat but I also can't cater to 3 or 5 different preferences at meal time. I am not too worried if a child doesn't want to eat. I doubt anyone will starve considering that we eat every two hours. If we have snack and then lunch and then snack again we are basically eating every 2-2.5 hours. It hasn't been a big issue even though I do have picky eaters in the group. If they say they aren't hungry and then ask me for food in between meals I remind them that didn't eat at lunch but now must wait to eat with the group at snack.

Starting to feel at home...
    I do the same as Spixie. I serve options to an extent. My daycare meals consist of batch cooking the dinners I make for my family. Usually a protein, a starch and a vegetable. I always offer carrot/celery sticks too. If it's summer and hot we have sandwiches, a raw veg and a fruit. Lots of options. If someone is stubborn enough to not want any of those foods then they can wait until snack.

That said, my children have a very wide palette (well, my daughter is a bit picky) and most of the kids see the others eat and follow suit.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Outgoing
    Thanks for the responses. I basically do what you guys have mentioned. I have one really picky eater who usually wont eat anything at lunch even though there are a few options. I asked her mom what they do at home and she said they normally offer something different but know that I cant do that hear. I have told the kids if they dont eat their lunch, its going to be waiting for them at snack time. They dont like that!

Euphoric !
    I don't make them anything else but I also take likes and dislikes into consideration so if I think something might not go over well then I make sure to have something on the plate that I know they do like. I also adapt after nap snack accordingly so if the casserole for lunch was a bust then I make sure to up the amount or kind of snack since I know they are going to wake up extra hungry. This is my way of making up for the fact they didn't get the calories of lunch while at the same time not rewarding them with something different for not not eating. My meals are very basic fingerfood type meals. They all eat pasta so I know while the meat or veggie of the day may remain untouched they didn't go away totally without putting something into their bellies. Makes for a much nicer naptime.

Euphoric !
    Much like the other providers have said: I won't "force" anyone to eat anything, but no I will not make different food for one particular child. I almost always serve more than one food at both meals and snacks, so if they don't like one thing served they can eat the other. (ie; don't like the chicken but will eat rice and veg). However, I have found that one thing I have to be a little more strict about (maybe stricter than some?) is if a child wants more of something they must eat what they were given initially. (ie; if you would like more rice, please finish your chicken and veg). Is this unreasonable? I had to begin doing this simply because I found that the kids were eating me out of french fries, etc but not touching anything else!!
    I also pay attention to what is actually getting eaten. It makes no sense to me to serve something that consistently gets a thumbs down from the majority. So we will take a break on that food for a few months, and try again later. Saves my sanity and my wallet, haha.

Euphoric !
    Same rule here. No second on anything till the plate is empty. There is no living on just the carbs at the expense of the meat and veggie which is what would happen. Generally there are no seconds of anything as I pretty much know the appetites and count out servings accordingly. Anyone that finishes and is still hungry can have something else in addition to the meal.

I try to only serve one meal but my children are funny! (mine is the worst!) he will only eat fruit (18 month) my DCC she only likes pasta and some fruit some times and my other little chap will eat most things!

Starting to feel at home...
    You can't make a child eat. I make what I make and if someone chooses not to eat that's his/her choice. They don't get more of what they do like though, unless they clean their plate. For example, if I make chicken strips, rice and beans, if he only eats the chicken and rice he doesn't get more until he eats his beans. I will not be a short order cook! Most days I have 6 kids here and you can't make every child's favorite.