Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need only 1 nap; cues?

So, DCM of my 13 month old DCG brings her this morning (she's been off since last Friday) and says she wants her to now have 2 naps lasting 1 hour max (she claims that she hasn't slept well at night all weekend...she also started an antibiotic on Friday and that can throw off behavior as well; weird that mom , a nurse, wouldn't think of that?)). Previously, I have given her a 1 hour nap in the AM and 2 hours in the aft. (my rest time). If she fights the AM. nap (about 70% of the time she does lately), I let her cry for a bit and then just get her up...I honestly think she would be fine with just the afternoon one...she shows no signs of being tired in the morning (I've communicated this several times and this morning too). But the mom has read somewhere that she must have 2 naps until she turns 2 (1st time mom). Thoughts? I think I'm just going to keep going like I have been...I just note AM nap refused in her log that I email to them. Crazy thing is I asked her, "What do you do at home?" "Just 1 nap" "I really feel it's best for your daughter to keep things consistent". "No, she's more tired here at daycare" At that point I give up because I have all of my other little ones getting antsy to finish our story. I even got an email after that from her
    "I think it was not really clear this morning... it's because you didn't know what was the best for *******... sorry
    Then, I think it better to continu with 2 naps because she used to do that normally but as I told you, maximum 1h each nap."
    That's right lady...I have no idea what's best for her...sigh.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Forgot to add....this AM she refused AM nap...I tried twice...no big surprise. She's full of energy today and showing no signs of being tired. I emailed the Mom back stating exactly that...and does she wish me to put her down just for 1 hour still this afternoon? Awaiting reply. Mom really is a control freak on everything...looks like in this case of the naps; daughter is asserting her own control

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    I would be very unhappy with any parent who told me I don't know what's best for their child! I spend all day with them, 5 days week. If dcg has stopped needing a morning nap stop putting her down. And nap her in the PM as long as she needs, even if its more than the 1 hour. Chances are she will sleep a couple hours at least.

As far as dcm, she needs to let go a bit. Parent's don't TELL me how long go nap their kids.
    Last edited by mamabear; 10-31-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: edited to add

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mamabear For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't be asking Mom during daycare hours what I should do. Just follow your instincts and what is best for dcg. At 13 months it can very day to day wether the child needs a nap. Alot depends on the quality of sleep the night before. I always ask my dcparents "good night?' so I can access their sleep needs.

Euphoric !
    If it was me I would just leave her up in the am and put her down in the aft and let her sleep till she gets up... I once had a parent that only wanted their child to sleep from 12-2 ( well actually they wanted the child to only sleep in the am and not at all in the act but I would not agree to that) because they said the child would not go to bed at night .... So i agreed ... but the child needed more then that. I tried it for two days and it was a nightmare ... The child was freaking out when woken .... So I put the child to bed everyday at 11 till they woke and that child slept till 2:30 everyday ..... About a month later I asked how bedtime was going and the parent said "oh perfect ..... The new nap schedule has worked out perfectly". I smiled and said glad to hear.

Euphoric !
    I don't let parents tell me when or how long to nap their children. I tell them naptime in the afternoon is 2 hours minimum and can go for up to 2.5 hours. Morning nap is given based on needs, but tends to be short so as not to mess with the afternoon. If the child isn't ready to go to bed at 6:30 or 7pm as many parents seem to want, then spend a little time with them and put them to bed a bit later!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I don't let parents tell me when or how long to nap their children. I tell them naptime in the afternoon is 2 hours minimum and can go for up to 2.5 hours. Morning nap is given based on needs, but tends to be short so as not to mess with the afternoon. If the child isn't ready to go to bed at 6:30 or 7pm as many parents seem to want, then spend a little time with them and put them to bed a bit later!
    I so agree!!! Especially this family...Dad rarely picks up before 6pm! They are a temp. contract/family, I agreed to take their little girl only until March when I have a new F/T starting. We've done them so many favors, taking her on weekends for them, late & long days...from very other parent I have gotten thank you notes, gifts, pay bonuses 'just because', each family writes a little thankyou (some a little note) on pay envelopes....it's so sweet. This family; who have by far been the biggest challenge have done nothing in terms of appreciation. The little girl is the sweetest and I have done my job to prepare her well for the next place but March cannot come soon enough!

~Anonymous~

Shy
    Why are 2 one hour naps different than 1 two hour nap? Just do whatever you feel is best and at pickup just say she slept great! If mom wants details, let her know she would not sleep in the AM (you don't even need to attempt it if you know she will not sleep) but made up for it in the afternoon. And she is right, kids may need more sleep at daycare and you can tell her that's why you let her sleep the full naptime in the afternoon if she needs it. She sounds like the type of mom where you just smile and nod and then continue doing things your way.

Outgoing
    I literally just went through this same scenario. I have a dcg whos 16months and my own son who is 14 mos. dcg mom wanted me to slowly wean out morning nap, which to me is just prolonging the inevitable and is very difficult for a child. I put them both on one nap cold turkey and its been great! they were both getting up eraly in the afternoon and being very loud (giggling at each other lol) and it was disturbing the other dck nap time. now they are sound asleep and sleep 3 hours every day! the first couple days they were a little cranky closer to lunch/nap time but i tried to plan some outdoor activities to keep them occupied and now they are great.

Euphoric !
    When ever a parent starts in with what they have read somewhere I ask them for the article - ie proof. Then make sure I have plenty of my own that say something different to show that there is no such thing as a difinitive authority on child rearing just ideas. Rarely do I ever have a child that naps in the AM past 18 months and those are usually the ones that come very early or the parents don't put them to bed till late but it starts early and lasts no more than an hour and then they are gotten up and put down with the rest of the group in the afternoon.