Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

How Long a Day Will You Agree To ?

I'm interviewing parents for a space that I have, and one parent would like me to care for her daughter from 7:45 to 5:45. In my opinion, it seems like a long day. My other parents all arrive between 7:30 and 8:30 A.M. and my last baby is picked up at 5:15. I just wanted some feedback to make sure that I'm not becoming a diva in my old age - is the industry norm still (about) nine and a half hours of care per day ? Or am I just getting to old and tired if a 10 hour day seems like too much to handle ? (By the way, this child is 3 so I'll likely only be caring for her for a year and then she'll be off to full day kindergarten)

I will take any child from open to close, with extra charges for anything over 9 hours. their choice.

Euphoric !
    I open at 6:45 and close at 4:30..... My first year I took a flex family from 6:30 - 6 ....1-4 days a week ..... Was too much.

my hours are 7:30 to 5:30, but right now I have one dcg who is here until 6pm. Once she is gone I will never work past 5:30 or start before 7:30, unless its an emergency situation.

Shy
    I think the standard really varies. You have to do what you are comfortable with. I used to be open 7:30 - 5:30 but have gradually decreased as families leave and now I do 8-5. There is no way I could stay open until 5:45 now, that just creeps too far into my evening. For interviews, I just tell them my times and they have to either work within them or look elsewhwere. It's amazing how they can end up conforming to those times if they really want to.

Starting to feel at home...
    I am open 7:30 until 5:30. I don't have anyone who uses the full 10 hours though.

It's hard at the end of the day to have one left especially after closing. However, if you are low in numbers you may want to consider it with as kidlove says with extra charges for over 9 hrs.

I offer a nine hour day with set operational hours. I will not, not, not work outside of those hours. If a parent can work within my operational hours then we are not a daycare match. You have to draw the line somewhere or you would be working a 12 hour day.

Outgoing
    When I started my hours were 7:30-5:30, and then one of my families asked if I could watch their kids until 6pm, well that 6pm became 6:30-7pm. After about two months, I told them that they had to come get their kids by 5:30 or I could no longer care for them. It was an extremely long day, my kids were acting out because they weren't getting enough family time, and I was burning out. They agreed to my new terms and it has been great. I will not work past 5:30, in fact I changed my hours of operation to 5:15, just so that if a parent is late, they still (hopefully) will be here by 5:30.

apples and bananas
    If they have a job where they have to be at work for 9 hours then 10 hours at daycare is normal. My kids were always at daycare for 91/2 - 10 hours a day.

You have to decide if having kids for that extra 1/2 hour (from 5:15 0- 5:45) is going to be a pain. If the child is old enough and plays independantly enough you may be able to start dinner once your 5:15 leaves and have it on the take for when the new girl leaves.

I love being closed early. I have just happened to fall into an 8 - 5 schedule and I love it. However, I know I won't have it forever.

You have to decide what you can handle and what you can committ to. In my opinion, no late fee is worth my sanity.