Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

What age for boosters at the table?

I have 2 new kids starting next week - 1 that will be 3 in December, and a 4 y-o. I'm wondering if I should buy a booster seat (for the kitchen table) for the younger one. What age do you keep kids in booster seats up to?

Euphoric !
    All of my kids are in boosters including my 4 year old son. he sits at the table with the booster as I find he can't seem to sit still and sit properly when he is on a normal chair and I use the threat of buckling him in to keep him sitting properly. The others, including the 3 year old, are in booster seats with trays...it is ever so much easier to clean up as less food falls on the floor and I just take the whole trays off and wash them in the sink. I used to have them all at the table and the cleanup was so much harder.

Outgoing
    I dont put kids in boosters past the age of 2.5 in my house. I have long benches at my table and the kids can sit and eat comfortably. I cant imagine putting a 3yo and 4yo in a booster seat, imo. at that point, they should be hold enough to sit and eat properly at the table.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    All my kids are in boosters right now (ages 13months to 21 months), except for my daughter (3.5). She has been sitting in a regular chair since she was 2-2.5. I'm actually considering bringing my picnic table in from outside and setting it up for my daughter and the 21 months olds to see if I can free up some room in my kitchen. If they can sit properly and eat their snacks and lunch there it will save me from having to lift everyone into their chairs.
    My son who is 21 months, actually doesn't like to sit in his booster seat because he wants to be like his big sister...he is just too short right now to sit without one at the table.

I have the kids in high chairs till about 2 then they sit at the ikea round table with chairs. They soon learn they must sit at the table till they have been washed and I've given the go ahead. The younger ones usually follow the older ones lead as well.

For me it depends on the child, if the child is a "fidgiter" and may possibly fall from the table due to too much wiggling or moving around....put them in a booster. I have most kids up to about 2.5 in boosters, after that, they are encouraged to sit on their knees to eat. I push table manners big time and one the things I have found with most boosters is, when a child sits in one they can't get as close to the table to eat over their plate as they could on their knees, therefor making a bigger mess. having a daycare it def doesn't hurt to have a few boosters on hand. I have three and a Regalla high chair that attaches to the table. I store then in the back room and bring them out as they are needed.

I use boosters from the time they come to me (I don't have space for highchairs), until the age that they can sit at the table without a booster and eat properly. I had a 3.5 year old in the booster so that she could see her food while eating! For me, that and manners are big. Once they can sit on their bottoms and still see their food while eating, they're in boosters.

They don't get strapped in....it's just to boost them up!

Euphoric !
    It is more about size than age when it comes to a booster seat. The purpose is to lift the child up to the table to a proper height to eat. If they are big enough to sit on their bum on the chair ( not on their knees) then no booster needed. Otherwise they need a "boost" up. I have a child size table for them so between 18-24 months let them have snack at the table but meals in high chairs still then around 2 they move to the table for meals too.

Euphoric !
    My three youngest (12 months, 19 months, 24 months ) are all in high chairs and the three oldest (2.5,3,3) are in boosters. They are not strapped in just need to be higher to see the food. My 2.5 yr old's last day is tomorrow and when I bring in a new one (my two interviews are for 11 month olds) the 24 month old will be moved to the booster and the baby will go to the high chair. I also have two chairs that dont have boosters that my two school age kids use for breakfast.

Euphoric !
    I think it depends on the size of the child. Usually by the time children are 3 1/2 or so they don't need the extra height that a booster provides. That's just based on my experience so far.