Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's your favorite/least favorite age?

Will you all reassure me that there is nothing wrong with me? I do run a Day Care and I do love children.....that being said, I have noticed over the years, I really am not super duper fond of a certain age group. I love love love babies and 1's and 2's, even early 3's, BUT....when children reach mid to late 3's and 4's even sometimes 5's, they tend to get on my nerves A LOT through out the day. Something about the nosy/pushy/"I know everything" attitude that just gets me. I tend to feel a little guilty because the ones I once couldn't get enough of, now drive me CRAZY. by the time most reach the age of pre-school I am almost throwing outside pre-school flyers at the parents......"please get your kid out of my hair" aaaaahhhh! Not every day do they drive me bonkers, but I def notice a trend with the specific age group that tends to "do me in!" by the end of most weeks. Anyone out there deal with the same junk?

Outgoing
    Nothing wrong with you...unless there is something wrong me too because I am the same way as you! I love the babies, they are my absolute favourite. I also love the 2's so long as I have had them since 12 months because then they are trained to my rules lol. I generally won't take a child at 2 and above who has not been with me as they tend to have too many bad habits and the terrible 2's are rampant! By age 3 I am really done with them lol I find the attitude is what drives me nuts. Again, if I have had them for a couple years its not usually as bad since they know what I will put up with and what I won't but they still push the boundaries. The 2's are a great craft age because they truly are working on their own crafts and they love to learn! I refuse to do school age care EVER! I don't have the patience for those attitudes and behaviours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michellesmunchkins For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I actually don't enjoy 1 year olds very much and count the days for them to reach the 18 month stage. I would love never to take care of 12 month olds. They can't talk, walk, craft, communicate or interact very well so you are just feeding, cleaning, changing them and carrying them around. They are not as fun as the older kids or toddlers.

I love 18 months because they can walk, say a few things, understand simple instructions and rules like where they are allowed to go/touch and what not, and they are curious and fascinated by everything. They are just the cutest.

I don't mind 2s or 3s at all. I love my three year olds but they have been with me for 2 years so we already have a good relationship.

I don't do school age anymore because I find them to be very needy. I thought that doing school age would mean they were independent but they actually get bored easily and want you to keep telling them what to do to keep busy. They ask for just as much attention - if not more than the 1-3 year olds. lol I like the daycare better just concentrating on the little ones.

I think everyone has their favourite stages and not-so-favourite and that is normal

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Funny, I've wondered the same thing! For me the least favorite are the babies (I feel so awful; they're so cute!) and the school age (never again here too!). I love the 1 1/2+ for their love of learning and eagerness to try anything. With babies it's mostly the putting everything (hands, toys...) in their mouth...I've really never been fond of the droolies. That and all the teething stages; poor little things!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm with the rest of you ..... I dont do school age and as much as I like to bring the kids in at 11-12 months they are not my favourite age either .... I like the toddlers that can communicate and interact and help clean up and begin to dress/undress themselves for outside.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think my least favourite is between 18 months and 2.5 years...the sudden independence and manifestation of their little wills can be challenging, especially if there are more than one of them at this stage. They are the group that will try to run off on me at the park, tend to get hurt more because they are trying new things...and mostly, discover that they love to say "no" and try to do things their own way! I actually really like 12 month olds as they are still little and sweet and I also love 3 year olds as they are more interesting...you can have conversations with them and teach them things

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

I love walking age to about 3. I loathe school aged children from 4-8. I love my own school aged kids (of course) but I will likely never take school aged children again. That is all.

Outgoing
    I can't really decide which one I like best/the least. They all have their ups and downs. I like the young ones because they are easy to take care of. The 18 months + are fun because you can start to do more crafts etc... with them. 3 years + is great because they have such imaginations and come out with hilarious stuff, but the attitude begins... I haven't take school aged kids and probably wont due to all the problems mentioned on here.

Expansive...
    I like any aged baby until 3yrs old!

School aged. period. not a fan of....
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your comments...had a feeling it was pretty normal, I guess we can't like them all, all the time. You know I don't even mind the 3's too much. The little girl who drives me crazy is not only a month from turning 4 but also a VERY attention wanting type child, has to know what I am doing ALL THE TIME. "WHY?" ALL THE TIME. and is my little mocking bird. If I get after another child she will them reiterate what I have said to that child, right in their face when I leave the room. Very bossy, and pushy with others......maybe not so much her age but her attitude is what drives me bananas. thanks for your input, nice to see all the likes and differences.
    The ONE thing I noticed that ran down the board with all of us was the fact, none of us wants to take care of school aged kids........I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than take another summer full of all those ones. ha ha ha