Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

9 year old b&A what to do with him...

I have a 9 year old before and after school kid. I have no clue what to do with him. He is very well behaved and plays great with the other kids.
    I didn't plan on having b & a kids until my oldest started school next year. I am set up for younger kids.

he is here from 2:30 to 4/4:30pm. In the morning I let him play with his handheld game system, but I want him to be involved in the afternoon.

Any suggestions?

Run for the hills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding....i would start with a snack and maybe sit with him and ask about his day at school, then encourage him to get his homework out, then read a book or a chapter in a book. (if he like certain books or types of books maybe you could check some out at the library each week/month just for him) other than that...not a whole ton you can do with the huge age gap between him and the others. after snack and homework, at his age, there is nothing wrong with a favorite TV show or activity. My son is 9 and he LOVES creating stuff, just give him some tape a glue and a cardboard box with a few other random items and he will create his heart out. Find out what he likes to do....and let him do that.

Euphoric !
    Well he's old enough to read so maybe he could do story time with the younger ones, help them with a craft, playdoh, or maybe he could make up a game of follow the leader with the kids tO get them moving..... I have an 8 yr old son and he likes to help.... Organize clean up, a game, help get snack on the table, ect .... Sometimes he puts all the kiddie chairs in a row and he dies a game of wheels on the bus with the kids , that are all sitting in chairs doing the actions and singing

I keep telling him to bring a book, but he keeps for getting. I don't like the tv on during the day. He doesn't like to read out loud. Most days he doesn't have home work. He likes doing crafts, but the few times we have done them, he ends up taking a lot of my craft supplies home. its been raining in the afternoon, so going out is out. I think this will be the last time i take on a b&a kid until I have enough room for two, that way they can hopefully play together.

My older son loves just playing with the little ones after school..that and his favorite...craft prep! I'll bring my laptop down and have him search for a cool craft for them..and cut out the pieces or find supplies in my craft closet.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    Lego/k'nex, drawing, origami/paper airplanes, puzzles. Really depends on the kid. I don't take kids over 4 - even though my own are all in school! Maybe ask him to make a list of ideas for you?

I have asked him what he would like to do. He told me he would like to read, but he never brings a book and the ones I have are all to young or to old for him. I have legos, but he wont play with them, he can draw but doesn't. I hate it when he just sits on my sofa like a lump on a log.

So why not find out his favourite subject and let him play some educational games online. Double check with his parents if this is okay, obviously. Otherwise, get him some activity books, or download some free printable activity sheets. Not the boring school work but fun activities. Theres so much available. Also maybe if you have time to go to the library yourself after work or on a weekend and get him some books yourself if he keeps forgetting. Graphic novels are a hit for some kids at this age like pokemon, megaman nt, bone are suitable for his age. My son is nearly 10 and he loves playing with the little ones but he is also difficult to entertain. I would personally also type up a questionaire for his parents. Maybe even ask them to fill it in with their son. Tell them that you really want to create a before and after school program which he enjoys and will be more willing to participate in. The questionaire can ask questions like his favourite subject at school, favourite things to do at home, favourite books, toys etc etc. Also finding out what he dislikes will prevent you from doing things that he doesnt like. Hope this helps. If you need any help with specifics for this age of boy, give me a shout and I can find some stuff that my son loves and pass the ideas on to you

aske him what he likes and go to the library or your local second hand store and pick up a few books to keep at your house, that way he will always have one when he gets there. There are some really cool searies books you could get him involved in.

Starting to feel at home...
    Not sure what the ages of the other kids in your care are, but what about board games/card games. I used to do just b&a care when my kids were younger and everyone loved UNO. Candy land, snakes & ladders, operation, go fish, etc, etc!