Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I miss my old parents!!

I have found in this job there are many different type parents. For the most part it breaks down to two types...the greatful and the "seemingly" ungreatful. i have been feeling lately that when all my little ones went off to school (4 children in one week ) also went my greatful parents.....it seems I am now left with the "seemingly" ungreatfuls. Making my days just a touch less fulfilling. I have learned over the years I am very much a "people pleaser", I function quite well if I know I am appreciated and tend to feel a little down if I feel my work is less acknowledged. Personal problem I know, difficult in this job none the less. This is a VERY giving of self job (as you all know) and can make a world of a difference to be openly appreciated. Just not feeling it with the current parents I have. WAA WAA WAA! thanks for listening.

I am the same way kidlove, so now if I feel less acknowledged, I self acknowledge reminding myself of all the good I and my family do for our dc kids. When I ask my dc kids for a hug they always come to me with their arms open and those hugs are also my acknowledgement. It's not a personal problem, it's just human to want to feel appreciated for the busy work we do. Have a good day and I appreciate all your insights on this forum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I know what you mean, this is my first set of parents (been open for just over a year now) so I haven't had to deal with anything other than these incredibly grateful, easy going families yet...but when I lose 2 NEXT September when 2 of them start J/K full time I am worried about what might follow them!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the kind words mimi, I think that may be all I needed......little self pitty today? I really do miss them though, I did have really nice (business based) friendships with them too. (little friendly convo at the door most days, sometimes even unrelated to day care) The parents I have left are mostly "hi and bye" kind of people, "here's her diapers"......"he didn't sleep well" kind of people. I def miss the "how is your morning going" or "saw your Mom yesterday" or the "thanks so much for all you do" kind of parents. I hope I get a few new ones that fit that empty little spot in my heart. boo hoo!

Euphoric !
    I know what you mean Kidlove...although I have all great families who respect me and follow my rules etc, I don't actually remember the last time anyone asked me how I am doing! They are all focused on themselves and their kids and that's it. I doesn't bother me that much as I prefer to keep a friendly business relationship anyway, but it is quite something when I think about it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

and you would think sunnydays that the parents would ask how you are doing since you are caring for their children. I think they are afraid if you say "lousy" then they will wonder if they should take their kids home so best not to ask!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Mimi, you bring up another interesting point as well, don't you sometimes feel like you have to give the big grin and "act" as if the day is perfect for that reason? Even having a bad day in this job I can get frustrated because what parent wants to hear their provider say..."if I hear one more cry or complaint, I think I might lose it", I have felt in the past that the preasure of being "perfect" alone is enough to ware a provider down.

Euphoric !
    Yep...they definitely don't want to hear "I didn't sleep last night, feel like I am coming down with a flu, and the kids are all driving me up the wall..other than that I'm great!"...LOL I also pretend to be perkier than I sometimes feel because I feel it is expected of me. However I do let them know if I am actually sick so that they know things are going to be a little less structured and maybe just maybe, they will take pity on me and pick up a tad earlier if possible I have just restarted my daycare in a new location and have started 4 new children 2 weeks apart and I am exhausted! New parents, new kids, crying baby, naptime mayhem...you know what it's like. But do you think I let on to the parents that I am worn out?...nope...nothin g but perky and happy...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    Mimi, you bring up another interesting point as well, don't you sometimes feel like you have to give the big grin and "act" as if the day is perfect for that reason? Even having a bad day in this job I can get frustrated because what parent wants to hear their provider say..."if I hear one more cry or complaint, I think I might lose it", I have felt in the past that the preasure of being "perfect" alone is enough to ware a provider down.

because if you did they might think...."she can't handle it!"
    My husband tends to make comments regarding the way i can go from one "mood" to another when day care comes through the door. "You're always so friendly and happy when you greet them every day"...hmm, if I let my true emotions out, there would be no one to come the next day!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    because if you did they might think...."she can't handle it!"
    My husband tends to make comments regarding the way i can go from one "mood" to another when day care comes through the door. "You're always so friendly and happy when you greet them every day"...hmm, if I let my true emotions out, there would be no one to come the next day!
    Exactly what my husband says too We all need a little pat on the back every now and then to let us know we are doing a good job! I think parents tend to forget this. Plus we live in a very selfish society nowadays!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to michellesmunchkins For This Useful Post: