Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would you have called parent out on this?

The more I think about it, the more I get mad thinking about this incidence. This is what happened yesterday that gives me a queasy feeling.

DCM rings the doorbell and take dcb's hand to walk him to the door. He's telling me "I'm pooping" ugh. good timing kiddo So I answer the door, tell DCM that her little guy (2.5yr) just pooped. Would you like a diaper to change him before you go (Yup, he's on her clock now ) No worries she replies. She comes downstairs into the daycare and I hand her one of dcb's diapers and wipes and she proceeds to change him.

This is where it gets me. She comes out of the nap area I take the diaper and move to the side so she can wash her hands..and she proceeds to head towards the door. I thought "maybe she is embarrassed to ask to use the washroom, why I have no idea. It's the daycare washroom and parents use it from time to time when they pick up.

She's like "No thanks, it's okay" Huh?! So I said "No, no you go right ahead, it's just right next to the nap room." So she rinses for maybe 3 seconds and comes out hands soaking wet

So as I'm in the washroom now washing my hands after throwing away dcb's poopy diaper in the diaper genie she says "it would have been okay, I have hand sanitizer in the car". WHAT?! So it's okay to get germs all over my banister, door handle to the entrance way and whatever else you touch in my home before you get to the car for said hand sanitizer!! Oh I was fuming thinking of her ignorance and getting any one of us (including her own son) sick with gastritis or worse.

Geeze I have a hard enough time reminding my daycare crew (the ones that are potty trained) to wash hands after using the potty.

Euphoric !
    I know how you feel...after all the hand washing and sanitizing I do all day long, I have had parents arrive and wipe their children's snotty noses with their hands...then onto their clothing! Yuck! Why do I even bother?! But I have to admit, I probably wouldn't have said anything...I'm a bit of a wimp on those types of things.

Seriously, if it didn't occur to them I wouldn't bother however, I would immediately disinfect every surface that mom touched! Just a thought, if she wouldn't wash after a poopy diaper change, would she wash after her self? Yuck Yuck Yuck!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Ya ... sadly not everyone shares the same hygeine priorities ... it would have grossed me out too and I likely would have wiped down all the surfaces she touched specially since the kid was poop and well feces carries lots of gross disease like ecoli and so forth

Fact remains that everywhere we go we are expose to this ... I always see people in public bathrooms come out and leave without washing hands and than they go push the cart or pick through apples in the grocery store and what not
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    The parent likely didn't even think about all of the surfaces she was touching on the way out. All she was thinking about were Her hands and taking care of herself.

Assuming in a case like this it is ok to bring it to the parent's attention and when she offers to just do it outside say something about we have a daycare rule that all hands must be washed in the diaper area so that we don't contaminate everything else we touch. In other words make her embarrassed enough to go wash without it coming off negatively.

Personally in this case I would have told mom oh he just told me he pooped we will be right back and then I would have changed him and taken care of it all my way and then handed over the child. My bathroom/change area isn't far from the front door so it works well. Much prefer that over having a parent come in and do as you said and ruin everything I have in place.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Me too Playfelt ... I find I typically can change them faster and with less drama than their parents can anyway and it gets them on their way that much faster and me back to the routine with the others still left here!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Me too Playfelt ... I find I typically can change them faster and with less drama than their parents can anyway and it gets them on their way that much faster and me back to the routine with the others still left here!

Not in my case! when 1yr old dcg was here she would for me & her parents scream and thrush and throw a total fit at every diaper change so when mom arrived and she pooped I gladly handed her over the diaper & wipes! You deal with it....not me!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    Ew, Ew, Ew, I'm like you OtherMummy, afraid of germs being spread all over. I'm the only one handing my dckids wipes to wash their hands when we are finished playing at the library before we eat at the food court or when we return from the park. And there's no way I would NOT wash my hands even after changing a diaper without poop.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't have SAID anything, but I would be thinking "YUCKKKYYYYY!!!! "

Outgoing
    yeah, we can teach the kids, but teaching the parents is much more difficult. Gross, but not much you can do about it besides disinfecting behind her. I wouldn't get worked up over it, though...not worth it. Save it for something bigger!