Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diaper changing schedule?

I know this has been posted before; can't seem to find it on search. I mentioned I would need diapers soon to my newest client and she looked ather shocked and said "wow, that was fast". She's a sweet Mom and very helpful & accommodating. I simply mentioned that I change every 2 hours (& of course as soon as I sniff a little situation). I start at 9 am (even with 8:30 arrivals). Do any of you mention it or include it on supply lists...based on my current diaper change/toileting schedule please anticipate the need for 5-6 diapers per day?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    I am the same. I do every 2 hours approx and as needed if something stinky comes along.

I have it in my manual that it is approx every 2 hours and I tell parents that they should plan approx 5 diapers a day. Usually that is the average. some days might be 4 and some 6. I think parents probably keep it stretched out longer and don't go through that many at home but I am careful because I don't want a rash to ever happen because they are hard to get rid of plus it might make the parents think I am not changing enough...

Better too often than not
    Last edited by Spixie33; 11-02-2012 at 02:31 PM.

I have diaper time / washroom time on the schedule before snacks/meals and before and after outdoor time and before and after nap time .... but I only change them 'as needed' ... so I CHECK them often and if they are wet or soiled they get changed otherwise I send them on their way again ... so some kids in my care might go through 5 diapers a day and others might only go through 2 one before nap and another when they wake up from nap cause they are 'camels' and hold their pee for long time and than let loose during sleep time and never poop here or what not.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Typically unless needed sooner it's 8:30, 10:30, 12:30 & 3:45/4ish. At the very least I use about 3 diapers per kid but it could be up to 6 as well. Just depends on the day. Parents should be understanding of that without questioning why more diapers are needed.

Outgoing
    Me too it's approx. every 2 hours. Before snack, lunch, before nap, and then after nap/snack and ofcourse when needed. The child that get's here at 8h45am does not get an AM diaper change. Everytime I did change him he was dry so I stopped and one is usually dry after nap so for him I wait until after snack. So I got from 4 to 6 diapers a day. Very similar to you as well.

Euphoric !
    With the one year olds it is pretty much a before and after nap thing which sort of translates into every two hours. Diapers these days can hold a lot more than we give them credit for but that doesn't mean a child should have that wet thing on them for that long. Once they give up the morning nap I check at 9, change at 11, check at 1 before nap changing only those that need it and again at 3:30 after nap. Learned to get them all up and shoes on, beds away, etc. and then do diapers as some pee on waking not while sleeping. Anyone here after 4:30 is checked again unless we are outside and/or the odour dictates otherwise. I plan on 4 per day but always have extra in reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    ... Diapers these days can hold a lot more than we give them credit for but that doesn't mean a child should have that wet thing on them for that long.....
    Yup the way they advertize those 12 hour diapers I honestly think some parents think that means you can leave the same diaper on the child for 12 hours unless they 'poop' in it .... and well EWWWW!

Seriously when we are old and senile in the home I sure hope I do not have someone with logic like that taking care of me ... cause unless I am sleeping and blissfully unaware of the state of my body I do not want to be sitting in my pee for 12 hours at a time just because the diaper will 'hold that much'
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I change kids garanteed 3 times a day but check inbetween for neccessary changes. Some kids only get changed the 3 times at the scheduled change time while others can get changed up to 6 times. It all depends on the kid. My scheduled change times are about 9:45 (after snack/before outside time), 12:30 (after lunch/before afternoon nap), and 3pm (after nap).
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    It's funny but this exact same thing happened to me last week! New parent with 2 year old who had been in another daycare before and mom had actually mentioned to me that he was getting rashes there. I change 3-4 times per day normally (in a 9 hour day). When she asked why so soon I made sure to mention this and that this prevents rashes...the other daycare may have gone through less diapers, but he was getting rashes! Couldn't believe she would ask this! But, after my response she was happy and said "yeah, he hasn't had a single rash since he started with you"....mmmmhmmmm.. .

Euphoric !
    I only use 3-4 diapers a day unless I have a super pooper of course. I've had those in the past who used 5-6 a day. My dckids arrive around 8-9am and I change them before we go outside at about 9:15 because most of them have been up and in that diaper since 6 or 7am. Then I change them again at about noon before naptime and again at 3ish after naptime. Then the 4th daily diaper is when the poop arrives.

I ask parents to send 15-20 diapers every Monday for my cupboard and if I get a surplus I let them know they can skip a week. This way I'm not always asking for diapers, we have a system.