Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shy
    I have always done a quick transition period WITHOUT mom present.
    The week before they start, I have them come on the Monday for a couple of hours.
    Then on the Wednesday if possible for a half day including lunch.
    On the Friday before they start I ask the Mom to bring them in from about 11 (after we get home from our play time) and pick them up around 3:30.
    It doesn't necessarily stop them from crying when they come, but it gives me a chance to know their moods a little better and for them to recognize the other children.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daycare 65 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by daycare 65 View Post
    I have always done a quick transition period WITHOUT mom present.
    The week before they start, I have them come on the Monday for a couple of hours.
    Then on the Wednesday if possible for a half day including lunch.
    On the Friday before they start I ask the Mom to bring them in from about 11 (after we get home from our play time) and pick them up around 3:30.
    It doesn't necessarily stop them from crying when they come, but it gives me a chance to know their moods a little better and for them to recognize the other children.
    It's my new way of doing it as well. I made the mistake of doing a month long transition following the parents guide and it was horrible! Took much longer for baby to trust me and get comfortable with someone they see once a week etc. After those 3 HELL months I said no more! One week before and DONE. They have to get used to me and the group at some point...why drag it out?
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Shy
    I tell the parents that I do believe a transition period is more for the parents' benefit than for the kids but I leave the decision up to them. If they feel more comfortable with some trial days or half days whatever, that's fine. But I do insist on full payment for those days (learned that lesson the hard way) and I do not want the parent there. The child and I need to get to know each other and I cannot start to do that until mom steps out of the picture. I do text worried moms throughout the day and if they want to pop in early for pick up, that's fine but if they come through the day it's with the knowledge that they are taking their child with them.

Euphoric !
    I like the one week too or at most spread over two weeks with some full days the second week. Mostly it gives me a chance to deal with different parts of the child's day and work out my own routine. I always have them come as if they were going to work so get up in the morning, do normal routine and then bring child to daycare - and at least one of those days continue on to work so they can see how the route has changed and get their timings down. It helps us all to see if child will need a different time for morning nap than mom has been doing (since child was sleeping in) etc. We do a mom and baby first day, mom for 15 mintues and baby for an hour Tues, baby alone till after nap but befor lunch (baby experiences sleeping at my house), Thursday child stays for lunch but goes home before nap (baby experiences a meal at my house and me feeding them), Friday they come all day - mom has one last day to do errands and get house ready for return to work but suggest they pick up by 3:45 so child is first to go home not last. They start care the following week and mom goes to work. For pay I do a pro rated schedule with hourly/ half day no meal, half day with meal, full day. so over the course of the week they basically pay for the equivalent of 2-3 days.

I always start the child ful time on the date they are supposed to start, but for the younger ones I do offer the parents a few days a week or just a few initial days before hand to get a feel of the child and have the child get a feel of "mom leaving" and the way things go around here. I don't ever offer the parent to stay for a portion of the day, it will draw out the seperation issues that may take place, I think it can be too confusing to the child, first she stays, then she leaves? The child needs to know right from the start, that just as easy as Mommy left, she also comes back, and he/she if fine while she is gone. The quicker they learn the better off everyone will be!

Shy
    Awesome feedback - thank you ladies!