Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Best daycare meals

Just wondering what people find to be their most popular lunch dishes with the daycare....

Mine would be
    Lasagna
    chicken with rice and corn

My kids love english muffin pizzas! They will even eat veggies on them.

Euphoric !
    Mine would eat grilled cheese sandwiches everyday if I let them. Which is hard cause it means lunch is on the table in 15 minutes with no prep work and no thinking.

Mine still need things cut up small so I tend to do things that already come that way like pasta or frozen veggies. For the pasta a hint of butter and a sprinkle of celery salt is the way they like it. I tend to stay away from tomato sauces because of the exent of the cleanup so as long as they eat it plain I go with that.

Pancakes is another favourite and I add some oatmeal and wheat germ to the batter. For topping I mix raspberry jam with syrup and d rizzle that over. Instead of doing all that cutting what I have started doing is making little finger pancakes and then giving them a litle dish of the topping to dip the fingers into. Once gone that is it they get no more so are encouraged to put just a little jam stuff on each finger. This also allows me to control the pancakes and not waste so they start with a few and then I give more to those that eat and want more.

Well I thought I had it but just when the going gets good they stop! They used to love homemade chicken soup (with loads of hidden veggies) but I think they realised! I am throwing more anyway than eating at the moment

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    Well I thought I had it but just when the going gets good they stop! They used to love homemade chicken soup (with loads of hidden veggies) but I think they realised! I am throwing more anyway than eating at the moment
    LOL ! Oh no ! They are onto you.

I once thought I would trick the kids with Sweet Potato fries and homemade chicken nuggets but they could smell the 'healthy' of the meal. I couldn't trick them. I thought I had found a great way to give them kid friendly stuff in a healthy way but everyone from the 18 month olds - 3 year old caught on.

Chicken Noodle Soup is still going good here so far.

Starting to feel at home...
    Grilled cheese and fish sticks. Everyone loves them. Veggies are hit and miss. Fruits...I don't think I've come across a kid who doesn't eat fruit!

I have 2 kids that dont eat fruit... well the sister eats a bit of fruit but her brother, not one... once I gave him watermelon and low and behold his plate was clean, so for a couple weeks we had it quite often as it was all he would eat, finally he fessed up, he'd been giving his watermelon to my son when I wasnt looking! Little bugger!

Euphoric !
    Perogies and ham, chicken fingers and fries, and grilled cheese sandwiches are all the big hits around here. I have a veeeeery picky 5 year old boy, but I am learning that he will eat if he is hungry enough. I think part of the problem is that mom and dad are packing HUGE snacks for him to eat at school. So he's not very hungry at lunch, doesn't eat much, and then by 1:30/ 2 o'clock he is starved.
    Anyway... veggies and dip go over fairly well, but not cooked veggies. And it depends on the fruit, but most of them will eat most fruit.

Favourites here are:

*scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast and fruit
    *grilled cheese & tomato soup
    *homemade chick nuggets & salad (I have toppings in tupperware that I get out to let them "dress" their own salads)
    *Pasta...tomato sauce is so messy, but so nutritious so we do that a lot. I can my own in the fall so we always have a ready supply of sauce that just requires heating.
    *they will eat any veggie that I let them harvest from the garden. It works every time.
    *lately we've been grilling...hamburger s and chicken burgers are a big hit!
    *stews and soups still go over big here. Also pot pies are popular.
    *quiche and miniquiche is something they all like. The miniquiche are fun because I use ready-made pie crusts but mix the egg myself. They can put their own toppings onto their quiche (like the salads) and then they're more likely to eat things like spinach and mushrooms.
    *pizza on pitas or english muffins
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Emilys4Guppies For This Useful Post:

Hi there! First time poster here. Thanks for the ideas.

My little one really loves whole wheat pita pizzas. I use prepared pizza sauce but grate up broccoli, and whatever other veggies I have on hand, and then just put some shredded mozzarella on top. Quick and easy, and tastes like real pizza!