Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Chicken pox and a pissed off parent!

I just got of the phone with my problem mom.. Her 4 year old has the pox and apparently it is all my fault.. Fine. I have ONE child of my own who literally goes no where other than walmart and her grandmas/uncle's homes.

This girl goes to kindergarten, swimming and gymnastics, went to a birthday party last week ( I dropped her off and picked her up) and of course trick or treating. She easily came into contact with a 100 kids last week between all that but of course I gave her the POX which I never ever have had and my only child who is 14 months old was just diagnosed with severe asthma but of course mom is not concerned about us.

Its the POX not the Plague.. When my nieces and nephews were all little ( all 24 and older now) my 2 sisters and 2 sister in laws would hunt down the kids with pox and send there kids over to play, figuring the younger the child gets it the better. It acutally worked for some of them, they caught the pox shared with the siblings and done.

Is it just me, or is this mom over reacting. I think she is most upset because I do not take knowingly sick children (common rule among daycare home I am sure) and she has to stay home as her hubby is a hydro worker who has gone to the States to help out in the aftermath of Sandy.

I am just really annoyed, and if I did not like her kid so much I would tell her to take a hike. This mom is really nice but everything either annoys or upsets or she finds the need to micromanage me,
    Vent over drink time now LOL

apples and bananas
    Ha, silly parents. You are not solely responsible for the chicken pox... that I can tell you.

Let it roll off. parents like this I just like to make a joke about it before they can jump down my throat.

Outgoing
    Even IF it did come from your kid....it's not like you shared it on purpose...isn't that life when you're sending a kid to daycare...isn't that just life for anyone?!?! duh! That's just silly!

Euphoric !
    So then I guess this parent didn't have her child vaccinated against Varicella, which is chicken pox? Maybe you should ask her about that. A lot of children have that vax and it doesn't even prevent it so how much does that tell you? The disease has a fast mutating virus that has been around forever and will be around long after we are all gone.

Don't feel bad and go ahead and tell the Mom all of this if you hear any more about it! Yeeeesh!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    So then I guess this parent didn't have her child vaccinated against Varicella, which is chicken pox? Maybe you should ask her about that. A lot of children have that vax and it doesn't even prevent it so how much does that tell you? The disease has a fast mutating virus that has been around forever and will be around long after we are all gone.

Don't feel bad and go ahead and tell the Mom all of this if you hear any more about it! Yeeeesh!
    I agree 150% with Momof4. I paid to have my children vacinated against chicken pox when they were small - it wasn't covered by OHIP at that point in time - because I was really sick when I contracted the chicken pox as a child. It's not well known, but chicken pox can cause some serious, long term neurological problems in children. Most children who come down with it will recover from it and be just fine, but it is a mistake to treat it too causually - chicken pox parties are/were never a good idea. So while I can understand the parent's fear over her child being sick (likely what is causing the slightly crazed behaviour) it's in no way your "fault" and it's very inappropriate for her to actually come out and accuse you of making her child sick. Some people !

She should be greatful her child got the pox. If this dcg got the chicken pox when she was a teenager or a young woman, she'd be in deep water as it is extremely dangerous for females with possible effects on fertility. I'd love to say to the mother if she is so insistant that the pox came from you then she should thank you lol Some parents are such morons. And as for the vaccine in Canada, thats another laughable matter, and another thread in my opinion. Bring on the pox parties

Shy
    My daughter has had the chicken pox vaccine and she may still very well catch the pox immediately. The pox are most contagious before the spots appear which is why it spreads rabidly through out schools and sports.
    I know she is worried about her kid, she is the mom who worries about every little thing so her concern triples when it is something like this.
    That being said I am really annoyed with her and want to tell her to take a hike. I told my other parents about the pox and they were all " No problem nothing we can do about it now"
    Some days I wished I had gone back to work.. More money/ less actual working hours for about the same bullshit lol

Expansive...
    * I'm 27yrs and we had a 'pox party' my cousin had it and all the other cousins about 7 of us played in just our diapers/panties (I was 4.5 and my brother 1yr) so then we ALL got it and overwith! LOL *
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Euphoric !
    This is totally not your fault! Even if your child had given her child the virus, it would still not be your fault unless you knowlingly exposed her to it! My own two kids came down with Hand Foot and Mouth disease last spring and I ended up closing my daycare for four days while they recovered...two of my daycare kids caught it anyway and the rest were okay...nobody blamed me for giving it to them...I did everything I could and it could not have been prevented. So I can understand why you are annoyed...I would be too! However, I'd probably just let it go as she is probably overreacting out of the stress of the whole situation and she will likely calm down once her daughter is better and she is back at work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

do you not have chicken pox vaccines in canada? or are they not manditory. In the states a child must have them at least by school age but I'm pretty sure they push them quite young....I optted out until they told me my kids couldn't go to school without them. either way, don't think its the end of the world and doesn't it make you furious to think this Mom has enough nerve to blame you and your house for a sickness her kid could have picked up anywhere? Reminds me of about a month ago when a Mom (micromanager as well) blamed me for her, her daughters and her husbands BAD colds. said: "it was their first Day Care illness"...in the mean time NO ONE in the daycare was ill!!!! I could have punched her in the face.....I just turned it around and told her she could not bring her daughter back until the "sick" are well for a full 48 hours. That ticked her off........whatever. .I think you have to have plenty of nerve to blame someone for an illness.