Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finally moving with the times

I am making a WEB PAGE! Besides this forum, I am not much of a computer person. I have started making a web site for the day care, and am quite excited, I told a Mom today and let her know that tomorrow I would have a release for all parents to sign so I can get their pictures up to share with them and other parents. She responded by saying "your not getting my concent" WAM! right in the face. She said she doesn't want her child on the internet, too many petifiles. I completely understand her point of view, I too am protective with my children, don't trust many people and would NEVER allow them to get online with out me knowing first. But she really made me stop and think......is it not a good idea to post things on the internet with the daycare kiddos. I don't plan to use names, just cute faces, and as far as I've seen ( i have never put my daycare on the net) but anyone could find any business or person for that matter these days with out you "putting yourself out there" I was surprised when I looked my day care up, I could find my house on a map, my complete address, so how much is a parent really protecting by saying, "no, you don't have permission to put my kids face on your sight"? How many of you have web sites for your daycare and how many of your parents say "no way!"?

Shy
    I have a website and all pics with kids faces are protected by a password. That worked fine for my old group but as new parents have signed on, most are still saying they will not give consent for pics online even though they are private and not available to the public. So now I don't post any pics of kids' faces. I do have a weekly blog where I post pics of stuff we did but all pics are of their hands or backs, more showing what we did rather than focusing on the child. I then send pics of their kids directly to parents by email, but just once in a while since that can be time consuming. I will just save the pics I can't post and use them for a photobook or CD when the child leaves my care. I have found my site very useful for advertising as well as getting info out to current parents, but the hard part is getting them to actually check it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mustbenuts For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I completely understand not wanting your child picture out there. I have had my web site for the past 4 years but I don't post pictures of my kids on it. Nor do I post my home address just the area I serve. Separate from my public business site I have a separate facebook account and a private group for my current parents only. This is where I post pictures of the kids, give updates to parents etc. I also have a public page on FB but again no pictures with kids faces. Unfortunately you can never be too careful.

Dawn

so maybe it's not uncommon for parents to say no.....hmmm. like I said, I am new to the computer world, just figured because so many parents are on facebook they would mostly be ok with it. This one Mom, I have to say, I think she would disagree with just about anything I try just for the sake of disagreement.....she is very tough to please for sure. Arguementative.

Euphoric !
    I have a website, but I don't post pictures with kids faces in them...just littlehands doing things and sometimes little feet. Some of my parents don't even want their child's photos emailed to the other parents...and I don't blame them. I wouldn't want my kids' pictures on a website either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Facebook is a bit different as parents can restrict access to friends only (although I actually don't post my kids' photos there either). With a website it is out there for anyone to do anything with...they could copy and paste and it it could end up who knows where.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

hmmm! now i am def rethinking this web site thing. sounds less safe than I thought. I guess I just considered it the same as face book, maybe it's not a good idea. How do you get a private web site?

Euphoric !
    I think it's safe as long as you don't post anything private on it like your address, phone number, kids names and pictures, or any names for that matter. If it is for advertising, you don't want it to be private or nobody will be able to see it. I know some websites have the option to have a page that is private and can only be accessed by members...then you can have your photos and private things just for clients in there and the rest public. I just opt not to put anything private on...my website is a huge reason I have always been able to fill my spaces really quickly...I do highly recommend it...you just have to do it safely!

Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    hmmm! now i am def rethinking this web site thing. sounds less safe than I thought. I guess I just considered it the same as face book, maybe it's not a good idea. How do you get a private web site?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Coming from the UK and knowing that you arent allowed to take pictures of children in places where children congrigate without the signed consent of every parent, I didn't give it a second thought when I first started my daycare to ask parents to sign to give permission to take photos of their child. Just to be more specific, in the UK schools, churches, youth groups, kindergym, moms and baby groups, indoor play grounds etc etc, require a signed consent form to allow other parents to take photos. Seems a little extreme but the crime rate being what it is over their and the headlines regularly having child related crimes being reported, I never argued this rule.
    Back to the point the, In addition to the form signed alongside the contract, I have agreed that before the use of the pictures in advertisements, such as websites and flyers, I would notify them to give them an additional opportunity to let me know if it was still okay to use their childs image.

I have had a website for a number of years and do not post pictures of the children, ever. I do however really like the idea of password protection if the parents wanted to check in and see what the kids had been up to during that week/month. As for my address, I make sure to only put the closet main intersection on the address form as I to found that my exact address was being shown to everyone and anyone.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I would never put my kids pics. on Internet and certainly would not allow anybody to do that. As your client said too many petifiles. If I was looking for a day home and if I didn't see kids pics on day homes website it wouldn't stop me meeting them.

Bright sparks, where in UK you coming from if you don't mind me asking?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoon For This Useful Post: