Everyone can say that the provider isn't allowing the child enough time I disagree. I had a child once who cried from the second his mom dropped him off until I called her in the middle of nap to come and get him. It didn't matter what I did he screamed. I lasted 3 days. I was already the second provider to give her notice. He only lasted at the other daycare for 1 day. I managed 3. It isn't fair the kids already in care to have to listen to it and as a provider if it is too much to handle be thankful that they told you before something happened. As a mom I certainly would not want my child screaming all day every day for 8 hours. That particular child ended up transitioning better with his 3rd daycare. Sometimes children don't fit in a particular setting and I certainly wouldn't leave my child somewhere that he screamed non-stop.

I have never had any other child behave that way since. Yes transitioning takes a bit longer for some but never have I had to listen to screaming like that since. I also never let parents stay at daycare while transitioning. I ask for quick drop offs and go. I find if mom sticks around then the child seems to think that mom can stay and that isn't the case which ends up in it being harder to transition. For the most part I ask for maybe one or two half days before we jump right into full routine. IMO the faster we can get the child into the routine like the others the better. Some kids take longer than others. I most recently had a 14 month old start and after the first few days drop offs were good, after 2 weeks she was no longer cried periodically during the day and now at week 4 she is napping the full nap time and is so excited to get here in the morning.

As for your deposit, as much as they should give it back to you, you did sign a contract. I would say you are out your money and you need to find a different provider. My contract says there is a 2 week trial period. In that 2 weeks either one of us can terminate care for whatever reason. Money will be refunded in that 2 week period only after that 2 weeks written notice is required.