Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Sassy 3 year old talk back!

Just wanted opinions...I have a very strong willed, defiant 3 year old dcb. He has recently become quite the sassy mouth when I am reprimanding him when he's done something wrong.

Yesterday he hit another child on the head with a hard plastic toy. I took him aside and reminded him we do not hit people with toys. That he lost his time to use the toy and I took it away. He crossed his arms and told me to "Go Away...Leave me Alone!" Very loudly. I told him that this was unacceptable and telling me to "go away" earns you a well deserved time out!

He told me to "go away" again when I had to separate him from another child whilst fighting over a toy later in the day. Again. Time out for sassy back talk.
    Geeze they are getting younger and younger with the sassy mouth talking back.

This is the same child who makes up stories "So and so hit me" when clearly so and so did not cause I was standing right there and saw everything. Or worse, when my assistant was here...told me that she hit him. Again, I was right there in the same room and my assistant was in another room at the time His mother knows and acknowledges his made up stories. He does it at home as well.

Do you have any sassy mouth dck's? Do you just use a time out and loss of fun activities and/or talk to the parents about this?

Euphoric !
    There is a fine line between doing something about it and ignoring it because the child likes the rush they get from your reaction.

I know the sassing is annoying but why is he in time out for sassing and not in time out for fighting over the toy. Maybe separate the sassing and the behaviour and the false stories into three issues and concentrate on ignoring two of them and dealing with one of them consistently till you see progress.

Oh my gosh! It must totally be a stage. My 3 year old son is testing for sure. He uses the 'go away' when he is using the washroom. But is testing with 'No!" when asked to do something. I then immediately put him on time out (in the booster seat with tray attached to keep him enclosed). I honestly have no tolerance for that; testing phase or not. Seems to be working. Good luck to you!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

This age is just about the "beginning of the end" for me. I love love love the babies and 1's and 2's, but once they hit the 3's.....this stuff starts, all the sudden they are the boss and even attmpt to control the adults. Little stink bugs! I have had many kids like this, some do well with time outs and some could care less and willingly sit in TO only to offend as soon as they get out. I like to find what makes the child "tick". Some will get upset with TO, some if you take away something special. OR I have offered a "special treat" outside of normal snack time to all those who get no timeouts all morning/afternoon. You just have to find out what works for this kid and stick to it. I don't make a huge deal with parents, but always make sure you inform them of EVERYTHING. (cover your butt) especially with a child like this......never know..the day may come when a kiddo chooses to tell mom and dad, you hit them. If you never informed them of certain behaviors before hand....it can be much more difficult for some parents to be willing to see both sides of the stry.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My grandson (the reason I opened my daycare) hit that stage at age 3 and was starting to become bossy and defiant but I patiently and consistently taught him that I would not allow that kind of behaviour and my daughter and I used the same words and punishments until he got through that phase. Toddlers want to explore and push their limits in every way possible it seems. They are learning about power struggles, some more than others!

So talk to the parents and come up with a plan so that you are all on the same page to get him through this phase and good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

sassing an adult is showing disrepsect to that adult: therefor should be corrected immediately. Children need to know where they stand in the list, they are def not above an adult. TO is def warrented.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post: