Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poop training

Euphoric !

Poop training

I know this was probably talked about before, but I can't find the thread. I have been potty training my youngest child who turned 2 at the end of June...she is doing really well and for about the past 6 weeks or so, she has done almost all of her pees in the toilet or potty...she has been waking up dry for more than six months, so no issues there. But, she refuses to poop in the toilet or potty...so I have to leave her in a pull-up until she has pooped and then we switch to underpants and she is fine for the day. She sometimes tells me and goes pee and other times it is me who just takes her and she always goes. She is happy to wear big girl underwear and we have talked a lot about her pooping on the toilet and she says she wants to do it, but then if I leave her in her underwear, she poops in them. I don't think she is doing it to be willful...I think it is just more comfortable for her. This may be TMI but she always squats when she is pooping and I wonder if that is that problem...she can't squat on the toilet so it doesn't happen for her. This is my third child and I remember the poops being a bit harder than the pees with the other two, but it didn't take this long. Any tips?

Other than trying to encourage her to use the potty for poops and talking about the proper place to poop. You may want to consider a "firmer" approach when she does choose to go poop in her panties. Chances are she is choosing to go in her pants because it is more of a comfort for her to do the same she has always done and it is quite hard to break habits with little ones.....but positive rewards when done correct and a little neg reinforcement when she makes the wrong choice paired with some incentives for pos results, she will get it quick. I hate to sound like the meany but once they have it down pat, (sounds like she does) then you really need to enforce the improper choice.....you can't enforce anything if you approach the situation with a calm and understanding tone "oh, that's too bad, maybe next time." you really do need to get a little firmer "going poop in your pants is not okay, poop goes in the potty only!!!" with a firm tone.
    Can you catch her in a squat and take her to toilet immediately?, "no no, we poop on the potty!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kidlove For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Catching her is a good idea, but she often does it right after she wakes up in the morning or right after naptime and I don't usually catch it. Maybe I should try putting a potty in her room for those times and offer a reward for a poop in it...I've never been a fan of rewards, but in this case I am starting to think it may help...not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kidlove View Post
    Other than trying to encourage her to use the potty for poops and talking about the proper place to poop. You may want to consider a "firmer" approach when she does choose to go poop in her panties. Chances are she is choosing to go in her pants because it is more of a comfort for her to do the same she has always done and it is quite hard to break habits with little ones.....but positive rewards when done correct and a little neg reinforcement when she makes the wrong choice paired with some incentives for pos results, she will get it quick. I hate to sound like the meany but once they have it down pat, (sounds like she does) then you really need to enforce the improper choice.....you can't enforce anything if you approach the situation with a calm and understanding tone "oh, that's too bad, maybe next time." you really do need to get a little firmer "going poop in your pants is not okay, poop goes in the potty only!!!" with a firm tone.
    Can you catch her in a squat and take her to toilet immediately?, "no no, we poop on the potty!"

Euphoric !
    It usually takes children a lot longer to learn to poop train. I don't know why.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

I feel for you! My son holds it every day until nap time (when I put on a diaper).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Seeing that she squats....what if you tried putting her feet up on a step stool? If you have her sit on a "potty" instead of the toilet she would be able to put her feet up and be in somewhat of a squatting position.
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang