Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    Its pretty standard that you pay for stat holidays I do not pro-rate or refund for stats. I personally do not take paid vacation but I know many providers who do so that just depends on the provider. I have my sick days limited to 3 per year paid. (In 2011 I took 2 sick days and this year I have taken none). As for requesting you not to drop off or pick up within a certain time frame that is done out of respect for the routine set up for the benefit of the entire group of kids in care. If you are picking up/dropping off mid day you are upsetting the routine in place for the good of everyone. In your providers case 11am likely marks the beginning of her lunch prep (which she has to do while monitoring and supervising all her children- its no easy task!) Following lunch most providers do a "quiet activity" like story time then the children are off for nap- and nap time is SACRED. Its vitally important for the kids to get the rest and sleep they need and nap time is also the only time the provider has during the day to play catch up. Things like cleaning up, sanitizing, returning emails or phone calls from other parents, prep for tomorrow are all done during nap time. Once the provider is finished all that she uses the rest of nap time for her one and only break she gets all day long. I would not allow a parent to drop off/pick up within that time frame either on a regular basis either.

I do understand where you are coming from but unfortunately I don't think your provider is being unreasonable. It sounds like she is very professional and if she is as great with your child as it sounds like she is with business I'd stay with her-- those well rounded providers are hard to find and they are pretty incredible people.

Euphoric !
    I am so glad you came on this forum so some of us providers can give you an idea of why your provider's rules are the way they are. I also have the same kind of rules with regards to coming and going and I know many others here do as well. The reason she wants your child to arrive by 11am would be so that he can have lunch, have a little time to play before naptime and not disrupt naptime or lunchtime with his arrival. This is for his benefit too because if he were to arrive right at naptime, it would be hard for him to arrive and go straight for nap with no time to settle in first. As for the pick-up time, again, you could have been talking about my policy...I have exactly the same policy...no pick-ups before 3:15. That is because of naptime...when a parent arrives during naptime, it tends to wake many of the kids up leading to overtired, grumpy chidlren all afternoon and no break for the caregiver. It is also not good for your own child as he will have to be jolted awake from his nap and whisked out the door...it throws his routine right off. As a provider with many children in our care, we work very hard to get the children on a consistent routine that is dependable for them and helps them know what is coming next which gives them a sense of security and comfort. A huge part of this is napping at the same time every day and for approximately the same length of time. Then they know when they wake up it will be diaper change time and then snacktime, etc. It really helps the kids settle in and thrive if they know what to expect. I think you should actually be very happy that your provider has put these rules in place to protect the childrens' rest period as well as their routine. It shows that she is a dedicated and professional caregiver. I am sure you wouldn't want your baby's nap interupted by another child being picked up during that time...leading to him being cranky and miserable by the time you pick him up. Perhaps you were thinking that a home daycare provider would be more like a babysitter...more casual. If that is what suits you more, maybe you could look into a casual nanny or babysitter. But as far as daycare providers, soley based on what you have said, yours sounds like a very good one who is providing for the needs of all of the chidlren in her care...which means she must enforce rules so that everyone is forced to place the needs of the kids first.

Quote Originally Posted by 1kidmama View Post
    Yeah, ok. But she has certain times that I cannot drop off or pick up eithier, and she texted me about those and told me if I did not drop offf within that window that she would not be answering the door buzzer, so I had to drop him off by 11 which was like 2.5 hours before my shift, which...uh I don't know about.

I have to drop off by 11 or not come at all, and I can't pick him up before 3:15..

As for her holidays she takes 2 weeks paid and 3 weeks unpaid (it used to be 2 and 2) and I am not charged for any personal time that she can't get a fill in for.....

As for he rates they are pretty much the same, and she is one of the only providers to give part time spaces...

I just am -- not much for being told when I can and cannot come, or being told pay for a regular spot or else... I dunno. She's nice about it, and shes an awesome daycare, but her handbook and stufff makes her seem very stuffy tbh.

Euphoric !
    Most providers have a no drop off during naptime rule. Depending on the ages of the kids in care that can vary from 12 - 1 for going down meaning lunch is at 11:00 and then some not up till 3:30 Naptime is when the caregiver eats her lunch, makes afternoon snack, plans activities for later in the day or the next day and prepares supplies, comes on the computer like we are doing now and checks emails so she gets a little bit of adult conversation.

It is hard when you don't know what your day is going to be like and how it is going to flow. I like the freedom to do what needs to be done when and if I want to go to the park for a walk I don't want to be stuck home waiting for someone to arrive or walking the floor with a cranky child waiting for another parent to get here so there will be no door bells to disturb sleep, or serving a later lunch because we were busy having fun and then have another child arrive just before dessert and not have any extra planned for them because they were not supposed to be in care over lunch.

I get that you are looking for drop in care. The caregiver is looking for consistency so that all of the children know what to expect.

One word of warning I will point out is that the caregiver has made it clear she expects to be able to count on a minimum income per week and that is reasonable. I know you are not keen to sign the agreement accordingly but are you prepared for your caregiver to give you notice and fill your space with another full paying child. Just as at your job if the boss was giving you shifts and you were starting to pick and choose just the ones you wanted to do you would soon be replaced. The pay a daycare provider gets is their income and they have a right to know how much they will earn and to take the steps necessary to secure that income. The first step is to set up a minimum due contract with all parents so that a base income can be established. That is what she is asking.

Outgoing
    As for the pick up and drop off I totaly understand your daycare provider. However I still undersand that you feel you should be able to drop him off and pick him up whenever you want. Why wouldn't you he is your child ? But at the same time your daycare is running a program and follwing a schedule based and centered around the children. I bet that at 11H00am she is getting lunch started, diaper change, hand washing and the kids are getting hungry and/or tired ... It's absolutely not the time to be answering a door to let another child in. Plus, mostlikely a that time your child will be well rested and just fed...he will not want to sit down for lunch he will be ready for play and not be able to follow the others. This is very disrupting in the program and difficult to manage.

As for the pick up it pretty much is the same story. Some of my kids are still napping and they NEED it. I am preparing snacks and doing potty time. I can not get one child ready for pick up and not disturb the others. Once in a while I will allow early pick up or drop off for a special reason and that is made clear to parents. I would not allow pick up before 3h30pm every week either.

That,s the daycare point of view. You may not agree with it, I remember when I had a child in daycare I questionned it as well. Now beeing on the other side of the fence ...I totaly get it. Imagine having 5-6 kids in care in your house ...You need a predictable routine to make sure the day go as smoothly as possible.

I agree Sunnydays .... much of my practice, polices and procedures are the same and are guided by the Day Nursery Act and years of experience and practice in 'regulated care' even though I am no longer there because they are sound practices that work to promote 'calm learning space' for all!

I should also clarify that while my drop off and pick up times are before 9 and after 3 as well that is for 'normal' day to day practice ... I do offer clients flexibility for unforeseen circumstances like Dr appointments that cannot be made at another time and so forth that are the 'exception' to a normal drop off or pick up time and prearranged so that it affects the program in a minimal nature ... aka if we have a plan for a field trip and the client needed to drop off late they would meet us AT the trip to drop their child off and if they needed to leave early from nap time I would have their child nap in an area that would not disrupt the others to wake them early ... but I would not want to do that DAILY because it becomes stressful to balance those competing needs of the children!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I can totally understand having certain times to drop off and pickup. If she has 4 children napping, the noise of someone ringing a bell or knocking could disrupt naptime or mean that the provider has to stop a group activity, game or craft to open the door. I tell my clients that there is no drop off or pick up during nap times.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1kidmama View Post
    Yeah, ok. But she has certain times that I cannot drop off or pick up eithier, and she texted me about those and told me if I did not drop offf within that window that she would not be answering the door buzzer, so I had to drop him off by 11 which was like 2.5 hours before my shift, which...uh I don't know about.

I have to drop off by 11 or not come at all, and I can't pick him up before 3:15..

As for her holidays she takes 2 weeks paid and 3 weeks unpaid (it used to be 2 and 2) and I am not charged for any personal time that she can't get a fill in for.....

As for he rates they are pretty much the same, and she is one of the only providers to give part time spaces...

I just am -- not much for being told when I can and cannot come, or being told pay for a regular spot or else... I dunno. She's nice about it, and shes an awesome daycare, but her handbook and stufff makes her seem very stuffy tbh.

Euphoric !
    Yes and I would also add that I also do allow parents to drop in unexpected to check on their child (as long as they take the child with them when they leave)...although I do prefer it not be at naptime. This is to ensure that parents are able to check up and know that their child is safe and well-cared for at all times. I've never had a parent actually do it, but I did it when my child was in daycare. However, that would not be a daily or weekly thing...just once in awhile especially in the beginning. I remember that my daycare provider had an 11am drop-off rule too when my son was in care...I didn't fully understand it either at the time and it wasn't all that convenient for me, but I followed the rule out of respect for her as I figured she had the rule for a good reason. i wish I had been able to come on here and have the benefit of all these other providers to help me understand! I think it can be hard to understand what it is like to be a daycare provider if you haven't done it...I really congratulate you for coming on this forum and learning from all of us and taking the time and effort to try to see the other side. I would encourage you to come back for any other questions or support as this forum has a bunch of really knowledgable and experienced providers who can help with all sorts of issues

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

7:00 Dayhome OPENS/Arrival (If needed earlier can be arranged this is a general opening time)

7:00-8:30 Free Choice Play

8:30-9:00 Story/Song

9:30-10:15 AM Snack/After Snack Wash Up

10:15-10:30 Potty/Diaper checks

10:30-11:00 Art/Planned activity

11:00-11:15 Educational Activity, IE: Alphabet, Number's, Colours ETC

11:15-11:30 Potty

11:30-12:30 Lunch

12:30 Nap/Quiet Time Story

1:00- 3:15 Quiet Time

3:15 Wake up

3:30-4:15 Snack/Wash Up

4:15-5:00 Outdoor play (Weather Permitting)

5:00-6:00 Free Choice Play/Pick Up

6:15 Supper Served if needed*

This is what my schedule looks like.... I will accomodate late drop offs as needed, but only occasionally, My policies sound VERY SIMILAR TO HERS. Supper is only served when evening care is offered or signed up for.
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 11-06-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Euphoric !
    If you have a chance, please take a minute to read another post that was just posted titled "Crying at naptime-how long?"...it is actually funny that it was posted next to this as it really illustrates the problems with late drop-offs! You will see what your child will potentially go through at naptime if he is dropped off too late...it's really not good for the poor baby!

Euphoric !
    I posted at the beginning but to add I also have no drop offs between 12-3. It's all about consistency for your child, the other children in care and the provider. Sounds like her rules are pretty standard. Maybe take the time between dropping him off and having to go to work to run some errands or grocery shop. The provider doesn't sound that unrealistic in her policies.