Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Well I get your points,

And my son has been with her since he was 14 months old...She has taught him words, how to pick up after himself, she even did some of his laundry when our machine was broken...Honestly he didn't know how to use a spoon or drink out of a glass and now he does all that....

He asks for her and says he "lubs" her..makes me jelous -sorry bad spelling- but happy...I just can't always say I would have the cash to pay....thats my only worry.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 1kidmama View Post
    I would rather just pay for the days I need...
    I've been doing home child care for 20 years and I've never met a parent who wouldn't rather just pay for the days they need. Every SINGLE solitary family I have EVER interviewed JUST wants to pay for the days they need.

I've never met a single family that wanted to pay me for holidays or vacations. Not a one.

So you are coming to the table just as all other parents who have ever sought day care for their child. They want a pay as you go with no contractual obligation and NO holiday or vacay.

The problem is FINDING someone who will go for that. If they allow that you can rest assured they will be out of business real quick like. Unless they are a sahm who wants a little fun money... or a really desperate newbie provider who will take ANYTHING to get started... you are going to have a hard time.

The sahm who wants fun money will tell you no whenever it suits her fancy. The newbie provider who will take anything to get started will either fold quickly or you will be number one on her list to get rid of when she finds someone to do what you don't want to do.

Bottom line is that it is TERRIBLE business to alllow pay as you go with no down time pay. You can't make a living doing child care that way and you can't be happy.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1kidmama View Post
    Well I get your points,

And my son has been with her since he was 14 months old...She has taught him words, how to pick up after himself, she even did some of his laundry when our machine was broken...Honestly he didn't know how to use a spoon or drink out of a glass and now he does all that....

He asks for her and says he "lubs" her..makes me jelous -sorry bad spelling- but happy...I just can't always say I would have the cash to pay....thats my only worry.

She sounds like an awesome provider! I know its hard financially and I totally get the child care is very VERY expensive. But this is your child. You do have to pay (usually more) for great care. If this provider is as great as you have said and your child is happy I say find a way to make it work. Can you find an area in your budget you can cut back on? Your child is in a safe and enriching environment that should be your very first financial obligation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bugaboo For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Can you pick up extra shifts? That way you are making more money and the extra childcare won't be a financial burden.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Yes and I would also add that I also do allow parents to drop in unexpected to check on their child (as long as they take the child with them when they leave)...although I do prefer it not be at naptime. This is to ensure that parents are able to check up and know that their child is safe and well-cared for at all times. I've never had a parent actually do it, but I did it when my child was in daycare. However, that would not be a daily or weekly thing...just once in awhile especially in the beginning. I remember that my daycare provider had an 11am drop-off rule too when my son was in care...I didn't fully understand it either at the time and it wasn't all that convenient for me, but I followed the rule out of respect for her as I figured she had the rule for a good reason. i wish I had been able to come on here and have the benefit of all these other providers to help me understand! I think it can be hard to understand what it is like to be a daycare provider if you haven't done it...I really congratulate you for coming on this forum and learning from all of us and taking the time and effort to try to see the other side. I would encourage you to come back for any other questions or support as this forum has a bunch of really knowledgable and experienced providers who can help with all sorts of issues

EXACTLY ! Well said !

Outgoing
    I understand that you only want to pay the days your son is there but don't forget this is her income. And she can't find other kids to fill those days when your son is not there. What she is doing is actually fair. And she seems to be a lady who takes her job seriously by providing your son a good care.

Euphoric !
    We are all different but you should check out some other caregivers in your immediate area and find out if they all have the same policies. It's always best to find the caregiver who matches your needs and has a system in place that will work for both of you.

I charge full fees for my full-timers for all the weeks that I am open, but not for my vacation weeks when I'm closed. But for my part-time clients they pay for the days they are in attendance at a slightly higher rate because they are able to schedule around stat days which they do not pay for.

I ask that families arrive before 9am because that's when we leave to go to parks and other play places and I don't allow pickups until after 3pm so I can protect the children's naptime so I also have that rule like your current caregiver.

Euphoric !
    So glad you were able to learn from all of us I hope you will find a way to manage to cost of daycare as I know everyone has a bottom line. I really wish you all the best!

Honestly like 80% of the providers have full time spaces only.... And as for her charging fair rates, she keeps her group small, snd I don't see like 50 kids running around her house...

As far as I can tell they don't eat junk food (only for holidays and what not)

I think I will just have to bide my time and see if ther are better jobs out there. But Ive been laid off like 2x this year, and she's let me keep my spot....

Now I kinda feel like a tool for even asking why or if you people thought it was fair

Euphoric !
    Awww 1kidmama .... You actually did the right thing..... You put a question out there so that you could better understand. You searched out the opinions and point of views of other independent caregivers. You seemed to be feeling a little wronged and hopefully now not so much. From all the positives you identified it seems like you have a great provider. Good luck with everything and don't hesitate to ask us any question .... We are here to help ! ; )