Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Ya I would not let the MPAC come IN to my house either .... my understanding is they are accessing the property to determine how much city services the property might require and so forth to determine the value of the PROPERTY aka land based on square footage and going rate of homes in area and they can get all that from the outside of the home based on the public records for the amount of electricity and sewage used in this neighborhood and real estate statistics so there is no need to be IN my house at all

Now for my INSURANCE I chose to allow the adjuster to make an appointment to come to the home to do the appraisal to insure we had enough coverage for the replacement value of the home and replacement value of the 'content' and so forth ~ if I had refused to cooperate with that inspection I likely would have found myself without insurance carrier.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

BTW it really bugs me when government employees give incorrect information because they are often seen as the 'authority' by Joe Public and therefore Joe is afraid to question or argue or say hey I think you are wrong and ends up getting HOSED by some ill informed government employee who was home sick the day they covered the rule he is now misremembering or what not!

Last two years I have had to argue with CRA when they called me up telling me I had to apply for a GST number because my business revenue was over $35,000 and than the 2nd time I had to demand to speak to a manager because the employee was aliment I was incorrect as there was nothing on her paper in front of her about exempt businesses and even the MANAGER did not believe me when I told her the entire childcare industry is exempt it does not matter how much I earn and I had to give her the URL to their OWN website and wait for her to 'look it up' before she would believe me and put a notation on my file to stop calling every year to 'remind me' cause it was taking time away from my program as they do not call at 'nap time' ... but my point is if I myself had not taken the time to make myself informed to be able to tell her NO you are wrong and I will not do this I would now be charging and collecting GST for the government on my services when it is not legally required driving up the cost of daycare to my clients by 5% ... and it scares me to think how many other less assertive business owners out there ARE charging this cause they got that call and assumed 'oh guess I must do this'

Same as when I initially researched into getting the van and transporting the children to possibly do 'school runs' in my neighborhood some dude at the Insurance company tried to tell me I would have to have 'public transportation insurance policy' on my vehicle if I was going to provide transportation for a fee to the public for purpose of business assuming what I was talking about was operating a business for the SOLE purpose of transporting aka like a 'bus/taxi service' and quoted me something like over $3000 a year ON TOP of our regular insurance premium ... so I was left thinking well I cannot afford that almost $300 a month to provide that service and initially dropped it. But than the more providers I met who traveled I was left wondering how the hell do they afford it and found out my dude was WRONG and did not understand what I was asking him and so I did even more research and came back informed with what I actually 'needed' and called and said 'I need a home childcare rdyer added to my vehicle to for engaging in field trips and outings with my crew how much would that cost me' and wham bam thank you mam that only costs an additional $120 a year for the additional liability to transport up to 5 children and that is now how my 'ryder' reads on the vehicle ... so cheaper than bus tickets each week and much more comfy ride for me and the kids
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    Judy-My husband said the same thing-"just stop answering the door". I am sick of people showing up at my HOME with some kind of entitlement-like I am supposed to let them in! Ugh. Judy can you clarify about the latter part of your comment... about legally running in-home business?

Quote Originally Posted by Daycare123 View Post
    Judy-My husband said the same thing-"just stop answering the door". I am sick of people showing up at my HOME with some kind of entitlement-like I am supposed to let them in! Ugh. Judy can you clarify about the latter part of your comment... about legally running in-home business?

It depends where you are. In home business rules are dictated by your city. You need to contact your city offices and ask them. Most cities have rules about what types of businesses can be run in private residences and what type can't, how many square feet you can dedicate, how much additional traffic you can have etc etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: