Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

What do you think???

Just wanted to hear what some other people thought of this! Best friend asked me last night if i would watch her 6 month old son for 4 nights so they could go on carribean honeymoon. We are their family and would have no problem with doing it. My question is more about whether you, as a mom, could/would leave 6 month old for 4 nights?? Just curious!! Thanks ladies!

If it was an important event, and I think a honeymoon is, especially when this is a great opportunity for new parents to reconnect on a personal level I would. If I had a very trusted friend who has lots of experience with little ones and would be eager to care for my baby and follow my guidelines for sleeping/eating etc, I would. I don't think I could do it for a week so the 4 nights would be my limit.

Each to their own. I left my daughter overnight with my parents when she was 7 or 8 months old while we went on a city break which was given to us as a Xmas gift. I think going overseas is a completely different matter though. This kind of thing used to really bother me but I found after a couple of years that it wasnt productive or helpful to me to bitch and moan as it wasnt my child and if they thought it was okay, then so be it. I used to get very very frustrated though.....Basically I had a brother and a sister in my care for 2 1/2 years. The girl was 3 months when she came to me as mom couldnt take any more time off work as it was her business. The boy was nearly 2yrs. 4 weeks after the girls was born she went to cuba for a week and left both kids with her mother. 3 months after taking the kids on she went to cuba again for a week. During the rest of the time I cared for them she went to cuba 1 additional time for a week, Paris for 10 days and Chile for 2 weeks. Every time her kids were left behind with her mother. I can't begin to understand how a mother can want children and then leave her babies so frequently for extended periods of time and overseas no less. I think an occasional night or weekend away is almost essential for parents to keep their sanity and their identitiy beyond the role of mother or father. Unfortunatly a lot of us parents dont have friends or family who are either able to take over care for this or we just don't feel able to ask for it. I personally think without any knowledge obviously, that this friend has likely figured that while a honeymoon is important to them, a week away would be to long and the 4 day duration seems like a compromise. They clearly trust you without question to ask you to do this for them. So IMO, while I couldnt go overseas and truly feel comfortable not being in the same country as my kids, I dont think its a big deal if the childs parents and yourself are okay with it.

I left my 2 month old for 4 nights with my hubby to go to NYC on a mother/daughter trip. If the parents are comfortable with it then that is all that matters IMO

Starting to feel at home...
    Personally I couldn't/wouldn't do it. We haven't gone on our honeymoon yet and are waiting until she is older. Even then I feel like I would want to bring her on vacation with us. LOL!!!! I may change my mind on that down the road though lol. Maybe bring my sister along to look after my daughter on vaca when my husband and I want to be alone.....
    "If we all could see the world through the eyes of a child, we would see the magic in everything!" - Chee Vai Tang

If it is someone I trust I would but for no more than a week.

Outgoing
    As I exclusively breastfeed my kids, no I wouldnt. I dont have a problem with others who do though. As long as the child is safe and in the care of someone you trust, that is all that matters. Moms deserve a break!

Outgoing
    2 years ago I have left my 9 month old son at his grandparents house (also where my sister and her hubby live) for a week to go down south on vacation. Again in April I will be dropping my 2.5 yr old son and 1 yr old daughter at their house again for a week!
    If tehy are with trusted, capable family/caregivers, why not? Everyone needs a break and I will miss them like crazy, but I thinks it is good for everyone.

Expansive...
    Thanks ladies!!! Always like to everyone else's opinion!!!

Outgoing
    I wouldn't judge someone else for their decisions, but I couldn't have done it. Of course, I also nursed my children for 2 years, so I wasn't able to get away for more than a few hours at a time for several years. I am also a different generation (mid-50s) and I would have felt too guilty to take "me" time at the expense of spending time with my children, and I think if I had asked my mother to babysit so I could get away overnight while I had a child under two, she would have been shocked that I would even consider it. I did get away for 5 days with hubby in 1988 for our tenth anniversary, but our first two children were 8 and 3 at that time, and it was combined with a business trip. That's the only time we ever left our children for more than 1 night, until the youngest was a teenager. There's a part of me that admires young moms who are comfortable taking time for themselves... many of my friends who are my age would never have felt that it was okay to put our own needs ahead of the need of our child to have mom there 24/7. I'm not saying we were right or wrong, or that mothers who take time for themselves are right or wrong, it's just a different attitude these days.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post: