Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This just Irks me

The weather is getting much colder. I've sent out newsletters and verbal reminders to parents to please dress children accordingly. We go out every single day, unless it is pouring rain or obviously freezing cold out.

DCM brings her two children. The 23 mo. old has mittens. The 3 year old does not. She tells me that she will pick up some tonight. This was on Monday. So I tell her that I will loan her son a pair of mittens. I scrouge through our winter gear and find an extra pair with string attached to go threw the sleeves so that the mittens don't get lost.

So DCB uses the mittens during the day. When we come in from our outside play, I take mittens out of the sleeves and place them down on the shoe rack (which also houses hats, scarves, etc).

So DCM comes to pick up yesterday. Does not ask if she can take the mittens home with her tonight for her son as she did NOT get him a pair as promised. She just picks them up, feeds them thru her son's jacket and walks out.

I only discovered this after my daughter was crying for her snowman mittens last night when we went out for our walk. She didn't want her new ones, she wanted her snowman mittens from last year (they are little big so they still fit her). I looked on the shoe rack, I looked in the closets I was going nuts, cause I KNOW i left them right on the shoe rack after our outing yesterday.

So who walks in today with said mittens dangling from his coat. YUP. DCB. I just looked so surprised and said "Ohhhh...that's were they are...we were looking for these last night" DCM just chuckles. Does not even offer an apology or explanation. Seriously...I do so much for her two kids. Supplying winter clothing is NOT part of the package. This just bugs me on so many levels.

He may wear them today, obviously as DCM didn't bring mittens for him again. Tonite before they leave I'm going to make a point of taking them out of his coat and reminding her she needs to go an get him his own pair.

Shy
    I am flabbergasted that she just took the mittens!! How presumptuous!

Seriously the nerve. I get mitts at the dollar store as I don't want the kids to suffer due to the neglect of their parents and we need our outdoor time. I then high light the mitts/hats on my supplies needed section on my day sheet and I remind at pick up.

Starting to feel at home...
    I would just leave a personal note in the kids book bag stating that outside time is very important to all the kids and when a child is not properly dressed for the weather EVERYONE misses out on outside time.

Outgoing
    WOW ... the nerve. This really peeves me. I had one family once who really had a hard time providing splash pants for their son or the ones they had simply where too small poor kid could not even bend his knees in it. I once lent him a pair I had bought used for my girl to take at the farm when she would go with daddy. I had offered the mom to buy them off from me for $2 ( we had only used them once for ourselfs) so she would get the point. She said no thanks and that she would get some... (They matched his coat and everything) . Ofcourse no splahs pants were porivded. One day I reminded the mom that her son needed splash pants ( for the 10 000 time) She said '' Oh you can just put on the splahs pants you had him in.'' I flat out told her '' I am sorry but I tihink you may habe mis-understood. I am willing to loan the pants if you do forget them but I am not responsible to provide him splash pants on a regular basis. Today will be the last day I will be providing splash pants for him as this was a service I would not be able to provide all the families. Plus they do get dirty and I have way to much laundry to start doing yours.'' I said that in a sfot and kind manner. That evenning she had $2 to buy the pants off from me. COME ON PEOPLE !! It's amazing sometimes you need to treat the parents as if they were kids. lol Anyway, this family still has a hard time providing the appropriate clothing but are getting better at it ..thank goodness.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I'm irked just reading it!!! i can't imagine acting like that!

Expansive...
    Now that his coat is with you REMOVE the mittens and all other 'extras' from her sight. Put them away and send him home tonight. If she has the BALLS to ask for them at pick up, just say "Oh sorry those belong here at our house in case anyone else has forgotten theirs....I do NOT keep a stock for each child."

So RUDE!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Starting to feel at home...
    This irked me too! LOL! This is the third post in a row that I've read that's gotten me upset on behalf of the original poster! And to think I came here for a pick me up! LOL.

"This irked me too! LOL! This is the third post in a row that I've read that's gotten me upset on behalf of the original poster! And to think I came here for a pick me up! LOL. "

Sorry Jazmic

Yes, I've removed the mittens from DCB's coat after we came back from the park this morning. I'm planning to leave them in full view back on the shoe rack at pick up. But, I plan to be there as she walks out the door. If she has the gull to take them again tonite, I will call her on it.

Seriously...who does that??

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Call be a bitch which I am sure some parents reading this will ... but if your child does not have the supplies and resources on hand for me to meet their needs you get ONE freebie reminder cause we are all human and yes we might forget to pack something but the NEXT DAY you forget again you get denied entry at the door and can go home and get what is needed for the day and perhaps being LATE FOR WORK and INCONVENIENCED by that will help you to remember to do what is needed for YOUR CHILD while in daycare

As a result I do not have issues with things not being here in my program for my children and I have only had to actually enforce that rule ONCE and that client figured out a way to organize and plan better moving forward
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post: