Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Do you ever wake kids from their naps/quiet time?

Do you let your kids sleep as long as they want to during quiet time or do you wake them at a certain time? I know a lot of places have a rough outline of a schedule so I wonder how strict people are when it comes to naps.
    My newest DCG sleeps about 3 hours in the afternoon. I don't mind that but there are times like yesterday when I wanted to get the kids outside before home time but this DCG slept too long for that to happen. The weather all of a sudden turned bad. So what would you do? Wake her or let her be and find another activity to do (which is what I did yesterday?)

Outgoing
    My quiet time is from about 1 - 3. I will let kids sleep until about 3:30 and then I wake them up. I want to get them outside or get on with our day.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Outgoing
    depends on the type of day we're having. If it's keeping the rest of us from doing something, like going outside, then I will wake up the sleepy head. If not, I'll let them sleep!

Expansive...
    I wake up the kids quite a bit actually

On days where I need to do a school run for my own daughter or my after school child I have to wake the kids by 2 so that we can have snack, do diaper changes and get to the school by 2:30 for the pickup. I try to put the kids down 30 min earlier on these days but a lot of times that still doesn't help.

I do wake them up gently though by brightening up the room first and then slowly start making a bit of noise to get them half awake. lol

In general I do not think children should be sleeping past 3 pm. A lot of parents have their children on sleep schedules where the child goes to bed at 7- 8 pm and anything later than 3 pm can affect that rhythm. Parents know and appreciate that I will not just let their kids sleep longer for my own sake because they know they will be dealing with a very alert and active baby come bedtime that night otherwise.

I do write on the children's daily sheets whether I woke them. I guess that helps parents know how tired their kids may or may not be

Euphoric !
    Mine go down between 12:30-1 and stay on their beds till 3. At 3 I go in and open curtains, get up anyone that is awake, change diapers, put away beds. Anyone that isn't up by 3:30 I wake up. That way we can move on to snack and the rest of the day which in nice weather is to go outside till pick up time.

I will also wake up a child having a morning nap if the length is beginning to interfere with a proper afternoon nap which gradually moves t hem onto the one nap routine like the rest of the kids.

Euphoric !
    Depends on the scenario... if I feel like he/she really needs that extra sleep, and it doesn't impede on anything we are doing, I will let them sleep. I will wake up a sleeper from morning nap, for 2 reasons. a) we have a kindergarten school pick up to do b) it usually means a tougher time getting them down for afternoon nap, which I "need" more!
    Here, quiet time is from 1 (or just after lunch) until 3. Anyway you can put this little one down a little earlier than the rest, if you feel like the extra time is needed?

Starting to feel at home...
    I have to wake my 1 yr old from her morning nap every day otherwise she wont go down for her afternoon nap, she needs to go for her afternoon nap shortly after 12 as we have to be up for school run by 2 everyday! So yeah, I'm usually always waking up kids. The 3yr I lookafter I think is on the verge if not already there of giving up her afternoon nap, half the time she doesnt sleep, the other half she finally falls alseep w/ 1h/2 hr to go and I have to wake her as well.....

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I don't generally wake them up . They ussually wake up on their own before 3.
    If they did not I would wake them up so we could all get outside .

Euphoric !
    I don't wake them up unless necessary (if they sleep so late that we cannot go outside etc.). I have one child who lately has been taking three hour naps and her parents say she is also sleeping longer than usual at night, so she obviously needs the extra sleep I put them to bed by 12:30 so that I can accomodate a long nap and still get outside in the afternoon. I also find that as they wake up one by one, I am able to spend some one-on-one time with the earlier risers, which is nice.

Starting to feel at home...
    I always wake up my kids from their naps. They go to sleep at noon and by 2pm I have to wake them in order to get them ready to catch the 2:30pm bus for my own children. They all have had close to 2 hours of sleep which is more than enough for them. One family doesn't want me to let theirs sleep past 2pm either because then they have trouble getting him to sleep at night they say.