Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Playpen mattress flipper

I have a 13 month old in my care who has started flipping up the matress on her playpen at naptime...as well as taking off the sheet, throwing her socks over the edge, etc. Today I had to go in six times to put it back together and lie her down again, although she eventually gave up and went to sleep. I am hoping if I consistently do this without making eye contact or talking or giving her any attention for it, she will stop. However, I would love any other advice on this problem!

Expansive...
    What you are doing is probably what every expert would recommend. If you don't give eye contact or special attention and don't treat it like a game then she should stop when she sees there is nothing in it for her.

I have a few kids who wake up quietly and then start playing with their socks...taking them off...putting them on their hands like mitts or throwing them on the floor but they don't cry out or complain so it doesn't cause any issues. I usually tickle them or tease them about it when I go in once I hear they are awake but I wouldn't laugh or joke with them if it was disruptive at the beginning of a nap

Euphoric !
    Yup, I would just keep it up. Hopefully, the "game" stops being fun. If it was gettting really ridiculous, and beginning to become a disturbance, then I would make sure that there was as little as possible for her to play around with. If necessary; I would remove the playpen sheet, attach velcro to the bottom of the playpen and it's mat, take off her socks before bed and ensure that she has NOTHING to mess with (nothing within arms reach of the playpen).

Euphoric !
    Well for the past two days she has only done one small half flip of the mattress, so I think the strategy worked...at least I hope!

I have on 21 month old that is a big mattress flipper! I found that this issue was worse when he was still having 2 naps and maybe wasn't as tired at nap time. In the last 2 weeks, I have cut out morning naps in favor of longer morning park visits. So now when we get home and have lunch, he is so tired that right after lunch he passes out quickly with no interest in goofing around...phew!

Doesn't your playpen have velcro strips that you put together to keep the mattress in place? Most newer playpens (older ones too) have this.

Euphoric !
    The parents provided this playpen and no, it doesn't have velcro unfortunately. She only naps once a day unless she falls asleep in the stroller on the way to or from the park, but sh esitll tries to flip the mattress at least once before sleeping. It isn't as bad when she doesn't sleep in the stroller, so I wake her up as soon as we reach our destination. However, she still does it a bit. Hopefully it will stop with time.

Euphoric !
    My playpens all have the velcro straps but they are not near strong enough for a toddler and can be undone if they pull on the mattress. It is a stage they all seem to go through but the novelty does seem to pass too. Not putting them down till they are tired and getting them up as soon as they wake up helps.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    The parents provided this playpen and no, it doesn't have velcro unfortunately. She only naps once a day unless she falls asleep in the stroller on the way to or from the park, but sh esitll tries to flip the mattress at least once before sleeping. It isn't as bad when she doesn't sleep in the stroller, so I wake her up as soon as we reach our destination. However, she still does it a bit. Hopefully it will stop with time.
    If the playpen does not have the velcro stips to secure the matress then most likely it is not "sleep approved"