Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    you have to find that line. The line that says I will do this much for you, but if you take advantage or don't appreciate then you've reach my point where it is now about my needs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Thank God for you guys and this forum!

Venting to others who are in the same boat. Only you guys truly get what it takes to be a good daycare provider. And how damn hard it is. I've never been as exhausted in my life. Burnout happens a few times a year in this profession...and yes, it is like someone else wrote what I was thinking.

Thanks for writing what a lot of us our thinking Brightsparks. And great advice given here. Take the opportunity for yourself and don't look back.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thank you for posting so honestly...I feel the same often and I don't work as long of hours as you do! I joined the gym months ago, then got busy moving and havn't returned...you have actually inspired me to start going again...like you, I am tried all the time, feel burnt out sometimes and just so busy taking care of everyone and everything that there is no time left for me. I reduced my daycare hours and that helped soooooo much, but it helps to have something that you do just for you. I say go for it! Explain to the dcp's that for your own health you need to do this. Whether or not they understand, only you can do this for yourself...they are never going to offer to stop the early drop-offs because you look really tired. You can do it!

Euphoric !
    Please let us know when you decide if you want to start the program you described and how you are doing to inspire the rest of us. I know I need to get off my butt after work and go out and walk and exercise but so often I head straight for my jammies. It's important to be healthy and strong and to feel good and yes, burnout does happen no matter what we do. We are women and we give too much.

I officially give you all permission to say, I told you so lol

So here I am, amidst my personal crisis of concience and allowing guilt and selflessness to be the deciders in my business and how to tell this particular parent that I can no longer do early dropoff. How ironic then, that this morning she text me to ask if their was a convenient time we could arrange a get together to talk. I called her immediatly and wouldn't you just know it she wants to give me notice. LOLOL It's not funny from a financial perspective, but the irony of it is just hillarious. Whether you believe in karma, or luck, it seems funny how this happened at this time. No more early drop off clients for me.

We had a good long chat, and I understand that she has found a new provider, who as all new providers, or nearly all, promise the world before they have the experience to know they are walking into a situation where they will be taken for a ride. This parent is a teacher who pays a 50% retainer in the summer, and full money at Xmas and New Year. This is in addition to the early drop off fee and also this is for 2 children. I will not let her drop her days from 4 to 2 as I held the spot for her 2nd while she was on mat leave under the condition that she sent her daughter full time for the duaration of her leave<<<<< stupid idiot I was. Now she has this new provider only doing 2 days, for a lower rate, and charging no retainer AT ALL, and her hubby on Wednesdays which has always been his day off, and her mom two days a week.

Huge lesson learn't here which I will declare first before anyone else, These parents look out for number one. If the provider doesn't look out for herself, then nobody else will. I will definitley still be the same caring and kind giver that I am, but I will make sure that in my business, I stay within the boundaries of my contract and policies.

I officially set my "TAKE ME FOR A FOOL" hat down on the ground and burn it!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well, sigh a huge sigh of relief...problem solved! Now get going on your excercise plan and advertise the spots and do not compromise on your hours! Go you!

Euphoric !
    Hey, I learned all my lessons the hard way all my life! Because I'm like you, I give and give and seem to have run into all the people who would take and take and I completely understand how you feel. But that's life! We learn and we move on and we are wiser becuase of the experiences. Plus, I'm practicing being strong and knowing my limits so that I can be happy. You'll be fantastic.

Oh Brights ... I am sorry that you are loosing this client entirely however I totally believe that when we are truly open to solutions to our problems from within our hearts of hearts because we know we are about to break otherwise that the Universe presents said solutions to us!

One door is closing here so that you can open another one that will better meet your needs and sadly this client moves on to teach some other poor provider that same lesson ~ when you burn your candle at both ends at some point you run out of wax and end up in the DARK .... the trick to success in this business is to learn how to burn your candle slow and steady so that no one gets burned and everyone lives in the light
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    aww reading your post made me so sad.

You have to take care of yourself. You can't care for others effectively if you are neglecting yourself