Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Has anyone taken this course?

I've been off and on looking into taking some childcare courses. But, as you know, you can't exactly close your daycare to either do the course or the practicum in a center setting...or at least I can't. I wouldn't mind having my ECE to open a few extra doors for me if I decide to do something different but still with kids. I found this 1 site that has an online course (not an ECE program) but wondered if anyone had taken the course and what your opinions were on it. I would eventually like to do an ECE program though I think. I'd like to be able to possibly work in a school (kindergarten class) as an ed assistant or something like that. Not sure...just running some ideas through my head ) Anyway, here's the site I came across...

http://www.pcdi.ca/courses/2d/outline.html
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fruitloop For This Useful Post:

Thanks for sharing this. I had a quick look through the course outline, and it looks like a good program and the fact that you can take up to 2 years to complete is great when doing this course around long working hours and family commitments. In addition, the tuition payment is available in interest free payments which is obviously a huge factor. I am definitley going to hold on to this info for when I have more time. Thank you.

Euphoric !
    I did a lot of ECE courses online many years ago and at the time it was equivalent to the college course which didn't have a lot of practicum sessions. I had a few assignments where I had to observe and document but I was able to find places to do it that didn't involve time off such as a church nursery on a sunday morning or drop in playgroup where I took my own kids but did as much observing of what was happening as I could.

The degree would not be recognized in teh ECE field such as if you wanted to work in a daycare centre because the lack of a practicum means you haven't met all of the guidelines for the certification. But at the same time if that is not your long term goal then having the courses and the knowledge and being able to show the course certificates to parents would certainly help. In my ads I just put have some ECE training which is true.

At the same time if you are looking to work strictly in home daycare there are some courses meant specifically for home daycare and when interviewing the fact you took training specific to your job might actually look better and the learning will be more geared to your job. The problem with ECE and home care is that we deal with multiple ages and stages and so much of ECE and daycare centre is age specific leaving us to try and sort out what we can adapt to home care and what just has to go by the wayside such as leaving an open art area with scissors and glue in the same play area as where babies are just learning to stand and put everything they see in their mouths may not be a good mix.

Shy
    Hi! I did take that specific course a few years back. 20 years ago, I did my ecd level 1 in our college. Then I took that course you were talking of, but child care services said because it is
    not accredited, it does not meet all their requirements for level 1.

Shy
    Can you tell me the courses you were talking of for specific home day care?

Euphoric !
    There used to be a course at St. Lawrence College in Kingston that was for home daycare and one for working with school age children but no idea if they are still there but you might want to look at the college calendars for places near you.

Here is a link to a course that is specific to home daycare and nationally recognized. Our childcare association here in Ottawa has been running sessions - there are 3 levels. The childcare association in Barrie, Ontario was running it as an online course with online support which you might want to look into. I think if you look through some of the other threads in the forum there has been some talk about training options.

http://www.cccf-fcsge.ca/topics/family-child-care/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Thanks playfelt. In Halton Region they off home daycare training in 3 levels but I just can't schedule the after work time as my kids are busy with after school activities. An online version would be terrific.

Euphoric !