Okay folks, I've read many threads now about what people do for sick days, paid or unpaid vacation days etc etc. I am updating my contract this week as I do annually and then the parents review it, sign it and bring it back. Here is my dilemma...

I stipulate in my contract that each year on Jan 1st there will be a rate increase. I already charge at the top end for my area although this has never been an issue and I do believe I can justify this rate based on my facility, program and the meal plan I serve. However, I am a little nervous about raising my rates and not staying competitive with other providers. I may offer a lot more than some providers, but there is still always a ceiling price and I genuinely believe I am there. This being said, I am entitled to a pay rise, like every other parent is for cost of living increases. Especially as where I am, time of use hydro is in effect so as I'm in the home through peak time, my bill is shockingly higher since this started in the summer. This is obviously a direct expense of my business.

Instead of putting my rate up, I want to include a number of paid days off in my contract. I can explain to the parents that this is in lieu of a daily rate increase. They would be personal days taken for any reason. I definitley need some advice on how I introduce this to the parents, and how I word it in my contract. I don't think paid personal days are the norm in my area, and when I did daycare in Burlington where there are over 80 providers, it was rare that people had this in there policies.

How do I introduce this into my business practice and also how many days do you think is fair? I was thinking 5 per year, but maybe I would think more like 2 per quarter? I don't know ladies, so please share your wisdom on this Thanks