Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Terminating when not a good fit

I have 2 boys that just started last week. In the interview I only met the parents - they were here from out of town and did not have their kids with them. I realize now it was a huge mistake on my part to agree to take them without ever meeting them. I feel like they are not a good fit - loud, aggressive, etc. and I really want my peaceful, enjoyable days back! Have you ever terminated because kids were not a good fit? I feel bad, but I don't want to be miserable every day either!

Euphoric !
    We all learn from every client we have ..... This is a valuable lesson ..... Never take on a child that you have not met!!! Have a chat with the parents letting them know the behaviors you are struggling with and even have a letter to give them outlining the undesirable behavior and the course of action that needs to be taken as well as a time frame in which you need to see improvement. If your time frame is not met then give notice

apples and bananas
    Yes, sometimes it just isn't a good fit. Sometimes you can meet the child with the parents even and they turn into a different child on the first day.

I like to wait a few weeks to see how well they adapt to my environment and adapt/listen to my rules. If they make progress, I hold on to them. If not... out they go.

If they aren't a good fit for you, then you are not a good fit for them and they will probably thrive in a different environment.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    We all learn from every client we have ..... This is a valuable lesson ..... Never take on a child that you have not met!!! Have a chat with the parents letting them know the behaviors you are struggling with and even have a letter to give them outlining the undesirable behavior and the course of action that needs to be taken as well as a time frame in which you need to see improvement. If your time frame is not met then give notice
    I agree with this advice! My rule is that parents have to be doing the work at home at the same pace as I'm doing the work at daycare to help children learn to behave properly. And by all means, never interview a family without the children present because then you know right away whether or not you have to cross them off your list because they will be making your life miserable.

I totally agree with the others. You should NEVER take a child you have not met. They may have told you the kids couldn't make it at the initial meeting for the reason they were afraid of their behavior, hoping maybe they could sweet talk you and you would like them so much you would have more consideration to work with their awful kids. I would NEVER take a child I hadn't met. would def wonder why the parents didn't bring the children when meeting the lady who would be taking care of them? that is a little bit of a red flag for sure. Live and learn, but one thing is for sure..your business, your rules. You can let them go with little or no explination, it's your business. "I'm sorry to inform you, I no longer have room for the boys. I can offer two more weeks." period! avoid any huge explination.
    Last edited by kidlove; 11-13-2012 at 08:17 AM.