Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oh No! What To Do?

My new daycare boy started today. He's pretty heavy, and although I know proper lifting techniques, I seem to have pinched my sciatic nerve somehow while picking him up out of his seat at lunch. I was able to get both babies in the playpen for nap by tilting the beds toward me, and I am sure I can get them both out that way too. I can take them down the stairs one at a time, on my bottom, with them on my lap.

But...I have to do a school run at 3pm. I have to get them in their car seats in my van. I am flipping out. How on earth am I going to do this??

Also, sciatic help? Anyone? I have had it before, but not for a good four years, and before I started my daycare.

I am really upset, and so so angry at myself.

Expansive...
    Yikes ! That is awful. I feel so bad for you.

I went through a whole ordeal with a herniated disk and that causing my spinal cord being compressed and needing emergency surgery and being off for a few months this summer so my advice would be to call the doctor and see what treatment they recommend for you or go to a walk in tonight. Taking care of yourself before it gets worse would be my #1 concern. I didn't listen to my body for a few months until it was too late.

Could you call the parents and cancel the school run today?

I would rest as much as possible so it can recover

Advil extra strength might relieve the inflammation temporarily if you have it
    Last edited by Spixie33; 11-19-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Euphoric !
    Can you try to stretch it out? What about ice? Or heat if you are going to stretch it? If it is really bad, I would say you might have to call and have the parents pick the kids up early. So sorry this happened to you

Starting to feel at home...
    Don't be angry at yourself it could happen eventhough you are cautious. Any idea what is causing the sciatica? Revert back to the techniques you used 4 years ago and any stretches or strenghtening exercises you learned (if in fact you had been tought any). The biggest thing is to get pressure off the nerve to reduce the irriation and possibly take anti-inflammatory meds to address potential inflamation.
    Pace yourself through the day and only do what needs to be done. It's hard for sure to pace with a house full of kids but you need to prioritize in order to get to the end of the day.
    I know what you are going through I have been suffering terribly for the past three weeks with sciatica due to a disc herniation. I am in physio and massage therapy but my body is not reacting well to treatment this time... so apparently something has changed.
    Good luck to you, I hope you get better really soon

Expansive...
    How old are they? My 2 youngest are 2 and since I've been preggo, i've had them get up into the van and into their carseats by themselves! Not so easy with younger ones though...
    I only get sciatica when I'm preggers and the ONLY thing that helps me is having a chiropractor beat me up for a few minutes. Sciatica hurts so bad, I feel your pain!!!! Can your husband come home early to help you? Might be your only choice...

Ouch ~ do you have an anti inflamatory in the house like Aleve or something??? Get some ICE on it now during nap time right now to get the swelling back down so it is not hitting the sciatic nerve!

I agree with Lou ... I do not lift anyone who can 'walk' into my van ... I have a little step stool for those who need it but they all climb in themselves and get up into their seats so all I have to do is 'fasten' them in.

If need be call someone for help with the school run or last resort close for this afternoon so you can get treatment started ASAP cause if you push through it just gets WORSE and you will be no good to anyone tomorrow if the swelling gets so bad you cannot walk at all
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

i agree with reggio, def take a anti inflamatory and ice for sure, also try not to sit a lot, even lay down if you have to just for a bit, but I think sitting makes it worse. Call your chiropractor and get in ASAP, sciatic can knock you on your back for days if you don't take care of it. def take pain pills and ice for sure. I feel for you, I have chronic back trouble and know how it can effect my entire day. Take care of yourself.

Thanks all.

I've been doing stretches and icing it. I got the babies up from nap without much trouble. I tipped the beds and brought them down on my bottom like I said. One walks but the other doesn't. The HEAVY one doesn't walk. He's 15 months. I have to leave in 25 min and still don't know what I am going to do. :s

Thanks for the anti inflammatory rec. I have Aleve here. I will take some now. I am also going to see if I can get into a chiro tonight.

I tried to contact the school kids' parents, but nobody answered. I'll let you know how I do.

Yikes Alphaghetti, my DH suffers from sciatic nerve problems. Chiro, massage therapy, anti inflammatory meds as suggested and perhaps accupuncture, my DH swears by this treatment. Wish you a quick heal.

I got everyone in the car, and the school aged kids helped me get them out of the car and into the house.

I am in a pretty decent amount of pain. DH is on his way home. I don't want to close tomorrow. It's dcb's first full day today. I might have to, though.