Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting tried of waiting....venting

I have an 18 month old dcg who hasn't started yet. I interviewed her and her mom back in early October. They are coming through one of my agencies and need subsidy.
    They meet with subsidy on Oct 17, they where told they needed some paper work for the gov. which will take up to 7 business days. They should have started by the beginning of November. (they were looking for care to start asap). its now the 2nd week of November and not a word.

My adviser is going to give then until the end of the week to let us know if they are still coming or not. I can not keep holding the spot. Since they are with an agency I do not get a holding fee.

I have had people asking if I had a spot for their kids under two.I have been saying no, since I thought she would be here by now. I am now going to start interview if any one else asks, just in case.

I need at least one more full time to make ends meet. This sucks.

I am hoping that this will all work out one way or another.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Euphoric !
    This red tape is the problem with agencies .... You could have had the spot filled already.... If it were me I would fill it myself letting the agency know you cannot wait for them unless they want to pay you for a spot sitting empty .... I am not with an agency and I am full and I have had to turn people away and I too am in Ottawa

Yup this is why I am no longer with an agency ~ it just never worked as the agency was never able to get any referrals cause my policy is that I do not 'hold' spots without income specially PREMIUM INFANT ONES ... so I was always able to secure a private client before the agency could get through all the red tape to even get eligible people for me to interview ... we never even made it to the jumping through all the hoops to actually get them STARTED and me to be getting income from their spot.

Almost 3 years with the agency and not ONE client came through them ... all private so I finally just gave up the contract with them!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Personally I would be telling your adviser you cannot turn other interested clients away ~ you are going to enroll the first person to PAY for the spot and this other person can go on the waiting list until they get their act together!

Honestly dealing with clients who need subsidy is one of the largest challenges in licensed care because so much is dependent on them properly filling out the forms and showing proper documentation ~ minute they do not they loose the subsidy and get yanked out of program with bare minimum paid notice to the provider if any depending on your agencies contract!

When I worked in administration the amount of times where a client would do something to 'loose' their subsidy either not informing the government of a change in financial situation, not filing proper paper work, quitting school or what not and not inform the centre and we would keep providing CARE cause we did not know any better and than find out weeks after that the government was no longer PAYING for it because they pay AFTER the fact so depending it could be a full month before you submit your 'bill' to the government and them to say 'oh did you not get a memo ~ sorry that client is no longer eligible' and well we would than be OUT the money because the client would bolt when you confronted them that they owed you a months worth of fees and you would be left having to try to go after in small claims court and well they had no money anyway so what was the point!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Yep, from now on its going to be the first to pay is the one to get the spot. I can't afford this waiting game. The other two dck's are also through agencies, but it only took a few days to a week before they were in my care. Not really sure what is going on here, I just feel like I am being screwed. I will hopefully get some interviews lined up soon. I am now wishing I had gone ahead and interviewed all the parents that asked over the last two weeks if I had a spot for their kids. I know for next time, I will just keep interviewing until the child is in care.

Yup ~ moving I would never wait on the premium space since you are only allowed two under the age of two they fill quick and fast ... if they have not already done everything they NEED TO on their end subsidy wise so they can start ASAP than I would keep interviewing and take the first client who HAS done their part.
    Loris Malaguzzi

I agree with Reggio

I agree with Reggio too. This is just one of many lessons I am going to learn. Now I know: don't wait.

Euphoric !
    Can you reconnect the families that contacted you recently cause really they maybe still searching

I wish. I made the mistake of deleting their emails and I cleaned out my deleted section a few days ago. I checked the other day. From now on I will put all emails in to a folded for on month and ask if the parents would like to be added to a waiting list.