Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Red face Tips/Advice for doing our job with a newborn?

Hi Ladies!
    Only 11 weeks (give or take!) to go for me! My little one is on his way soon!

When I started my childcare my son was 15 months old, so we had a good routine established already and was able to self play, self feed etc. I've never done this with a newbie!

I AM taking 10 weeks off recovery and bonding time, and hubby is taking 4 months off paid leave so that will help a bunch...but after my daycare children return (as of this point, all have assured me that they are returning...time will tell!), how did you find it? How did you manage? Advice and suggestions would be well appreciated! And if you are a baby wearer...what is your favourite carrier?

Thank you!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Two of my kids were born while I was doing daycare and I started my daycare when my first two were 18 months and 4 months so virtually 3 of the 4 have never known life without a daycare in their house.

The routine works around the schedule of the newborn. Sessions happen but are very short since they become snippets of group learning time. Example if baby only naps for 20 minutes at a time then your lesson becomes read a story, sing a song and colour a picture or play a game. That is then repeated 2-3 times over the day. AND most importantly you relax if it doesn't get done some day.

Have more blocks of guided freeplay rather than group times. That means you can set up a learning centre the kids can use themselves instead of you being the leader. While they play and learn you sit and put your feet up.

As much as possible push the baby to a daycare schedule and remember that by 3 months old your child can wait 5 minutes till story is done without being traumatized so it has to work both ways for the group.

Having hubby there to pick up the slack will help a lot as you should be able to get back to pretty much normal routine since there is someone on hand to do whatever needs doing at the same time as something else.

Remember you need sit down put the feet up time even if you don't think you do. You will regret it down the road if you don't schedule those breaks.

Most of your daycare families will also understand that the disruptions to routine and programming are temporary.

By the way congratulations on the final countdown to your new baby.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Awesome advice, thank you playfelt!

Outgoing
    I took 2 weeks after the birth of my second. My husband took 9 months parental leave.
    We took turns getting up to greet and feed the daycare kids as I was up at all hours with the newborn. That helped tremendously
    We did walks with a stroller for the baby and my choo choo for the rest (made my hubby pull it!).
    She quickly became accostomed to the daycare schedule, and is a year old now and fits right in with the rest.
    With hubby being home, I was able to go to appts and whatnot and he woudl hold down the fort. Parents are all good with this, they love him.

Playfelt gaev great advise as well!
    Good luck and looking forward to hearing about the new little one!!
    I found the daycare kids were just perfect with her. Always gentle, never mean or aggressive and its like she was born into a family of 5 older siblings!! (they were between 18 mos and 4yr when she was born).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KingstonMom For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    That is very true about the other kids. The baby's needs became the theme sometimes. We set up the baby bath on a low table and I sat beside her and bathed while the daycare kids watched. One held the towel, one held a diaper, one held her new sleeper, that sort of thing. Or we would talk about body parts and they would point to their own while I washed them on the baby.

I would hold the baby on my lap or put them in a sitter beside me so it looked like they were in the circletime - stay away from the shouting and action songs for awhile till you know how your baby reacts but remember there is synapse learning going on for your baby too by just hanging out with you all.

We have a tendency to try to shield the baby from others - especially children lest they pick up germs and yes as a newborn you do need to be at least aware but not outragioiusly paranoid. The older the baby gets the better it is that they are exposed to the other kids as it will build their immunity.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't have any experience doing daycare with a newborn, but wish you all the best with it. I just wanted to give my babywearing advice...I LOVE my Ergo...I still use it for daycare when I have a new baby start and I can still carry my 2 year old daughter in it easily if need be (like for trail walking when she gets tired). I started putting my kids in it on my front at around 3 months. Before that age, I loved my stretchy wrap as it was so cozy and comfy for a newborn (I put them in from a day or two old) and leaves your hands completely free while supporting baby in a natural way. Best of luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Lou

Outgoing
    Lou-I pretty much did what you are planning when my little baby girl was born, I took 12 weeks off with help from my husband

Honestly I found what helped most-get yourself a GREAT baby carrier! I used my Moby for the first couple of months but when I got back to work I needed a carrier that was easy to get on and off quickly-not to mention hands-free breastfeeding (pretty close anyway ! I recommend any of the Becco models-but it is really a personal preference. Now at 8 months old-we still love using our carrier. I think carriers are also good because it is hard to share momma at such a young age and this lets your little one have some close time with you even when things get busy

Also, like a few others have said-the daycare schedule works around the baby-but I also got my little one on the daycare schedule as well. This takes time-so don't feel defeated if your little one doesn't sleep when the others sleep, it will come Now my daughter naps when the others nap but my first couple months back were pretty exhausting!

Finally, remember, you will have just had a baby, it is okay to keep things low-key when you need to!

Congratulations!!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daycare123 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I actually put my last baby on an opposite schedule to day meaning she napped when they were up and was up when they were napping more or less. It was exhausting to me but it also meant she slept while I was busy making lunch and getting kids settled for naps and then she would wake up and we had 2 hours of private time to feed, cuddle, etc. so I did get some relax time and then it would be time for her to go back to sleep and daycare to get up and have snack, etc. So it mostly comes down to what works for your daycare schedule - ie outside time, going to playgroups, outings pretty much take a back seat for awhile - my last was born mid January.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    Forgot the biggest tip - predo everything!!! That means having the cheese cut in cubes in the fridge, a casserole ready to reheat, or parts precooked ready to be combined. You never know when the baby will decide to wake up screaming just as you need to make lunch so there has to be something you can make fast like toaster waffles and cubed ham which you could serve with one hand if stuff is already cut. It is little things like that that will take the stress out of your day because you won't always feel like you are two steps behind what you need to be doing.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thanks for the tips!! I'll be using them too
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!