Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Second Day as a New Daycare Provider and I have a little screamer on my hands!

Yikes! Just need to vent here as I have spent most of this morning listening to my new dck screaming and trying to keep my ds happy but the screaming is really stressing him out.

Does anyone have tips for easing transition?

Starting to feel at home... Big Hearts's Avatar
    I have a little girls how took a month. She had a blanket thing where she would walk around with it and needed five blankets to nap and still took 45mins to fall asleep...it was nuts but now she has no blanket during the day, and down to three blankets at nap tine and naps with out a peep.

Euphoric !
    You didn't say how old this child is but it will depend on weather the parents did any preparing with thr child for group care ..... Now I would expect a 1 yr old to cry for the first week or so cause they have no idea who you are , where they are, and mostly where's mommy? Generally when I have a child starting at 1 I tell the parents to make sure the child is able to go down for a nap on their own ... No rocking .... They need to be on a sippy cup and finger foods, and let them have lots of floor time and not to entertain them. I also give them them my schedule and ask them to nudge their child towards that. So this is only the second day so you have to be patient and give the child time to be accustom to you and your home.

Expansive...
    Oh I wish there was some easy solution but the only thing that will probably help is a lot of patience and giving it time for the child to realize they can trust you and have fun there.

Some children relax when you spend some 1 on 1 time with them, cuddle, sing and make a real effort to bond.

For other children that might not work and you will have to split paying attention to them with moments where you go about your day - do your circle and storytime and dancing etc and let them cry and see that you are not giving in to their cries.

It really depends on the child.

After the first week or two you will hopefully have the child in a routine and they will get used to your home and the other children and start to settle in. Usually just when you think you can't take it anymore - things change for the better.

Just hang in there and think happy thoughts to get your own sanity through it. Good luck

Oh and forgot to add - SING! Singing twinkle twinkle, wheels on the bus, zoom zoom zoom, or slippery fish can often help. Some times you will feel like a cabaret performer but there is something about music that can get through to some of these criers
    Last edited by Spixie33; 11-13-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Euphoric !
    Ugh, I'm in my 3rd month of listening to a screamer baby. Fortunately, he's eating well and sleeping well now and we go outside all morning and he's great outside. So I only have screaming in between all of that. As soon as I stand up he starts screaming because he knows I'm going to be running around from room to room getting things done. I'm very busy! But I feel bad for the other 4 children and I have a 4 year old girl who is trying so hard to make him stop and entertain him but it isn't working. She's a gem!

Hope, hope, hope it doesn't last too much longer for either of us! But unfortunately, it's pretty normal.

Expansive...
    I went through 2mos of a screamer....I still shudder when I hear her (they live down the street and go on daily walks....the child is screaming the entire time LOL).

It really depends on the child. MOST will feel comfortable after about 2 weeks but some are more strong willed than others (especially if they're spoiled at home).

Good Luck!!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Outgoing
    Thank you so much for your nice words of encouragement! I am working really hard to establish a routine and today seems much better although still the odd scream here and there.
    This is my first time transitioning a child into my home so it serves as a great learning opportunity for me to educate parents about ways that they can ease the experience on their end. My own children have never scream-cried so it was a bit of a shocker for my kids and I with my little one looking at me as if to say, 'what the heck is that sound?' haha!
    I think the key is just to continue with the program i developed and keep a happy positive expression and definitely keep singing!!
    Thanks again - I love this site!!

So glad you are having a better day today Gravy_Train ... I agree routine is key in the beginning so they learn to trust that their needs will be met and form a bond with you and so forth.

I always like to spend lots of time outside when I have a newbie cause they seem to do better in the fresh air and openness ... sometimes I think a lot of the crying newbies have is that having so many other mobile children around in a 'confined' space is scary and takes some getting use to if you have been home solo or with only one sibling or so for a year.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks Momof4!! How long did it take you to get your little screamer sleeping well?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by gravy_train View Post
    Thanks Momof4!! How long did it take you to get your little screamer sleeping well?
    I am just so mean! LOL. Not really. When I have a problem napper I cuddle them and if they drink a bottle that helps to put them to sleep, but I lay them down and cover them and pat their back and their butt and gently keep them laying down. Sometimes it works quickly when they are very tired and sometimes it takes weeks of me sitting beside their bed and lying them down over and over and covering them. I miss my break in the middle of the day a lot but I teach them that I don't ever cave in and they are not going to wrap me around their little fingers like they do at home. It's sad that babies can't rule the world at daycare the way they can at home but it's a hard lesson that a 1 year old has to learn to fit into daycare life! It's harsh but it's true!

I have a good friend who likes to swaddle the children tightly and I know she uses a special comforting sleep sack which makes them feel all cuddled into the bed and they sleep well. I'm wondering about investing in one of those in case I have a baby who likes swaddling a lot and to see if that will help them settle in to a naptime routine better. My friend swears they are fantastic.

Gravy, all children are different and with experience you figure out what works best for you. I have my newest baby in the room all by himself until he settles in while the other 4 children sleep in the next room together. But those 4 children all sleep over 2 hours usually and the new baby sometimes only sleeps an hour and a bit so I have to protect the naptime of the other 4. It's exhausting transitioning a new baby! I miss my quiet time.

Oh, to answer your question, this took me about a month until he learned to go to bed and not scream. He now plays a bit in the bed and falls asleep pretty quickly and sleeps between 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Baby steps and progress is good.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: