Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

15 months poor sleeper

I have a 15 month old that has never slept an entire 2 hours. He normally starts with a 20 min nap then screams for an hour then might sleep for an hour.

His parents say he wakes up several times in the night and takes full bottles.

Shouldn't he be sleeping through the night by now? And if he doesn't shouldn't they be doing away with the middle of the night feedings?

Do you think this is part of the horrible napping he does here?

Euphoric !
    As long as he has a bottle to settle himself back to sleep he won't be happy during nap time because he is not learning to do it himself. In theory that is what he is doing now - the nap, wake, settle self by crying self back to sleep, sleep. It should get better for you eventually but the parents taking the bottle would certainly help. Sometimes using a soother for naptime if they are used to the bottle at home can help some kids.

Both of my little ones - 13 m and 14 m are both still waking through the night - one is being nursed back to sleep and the other one is being taken into parents bed and given a bottle and allowed to stay there. Not helping with naptime here but it is getting better for both of them.

Euphoric !
    Playfelt is exactly right as long as the parents go to him and soothe him back to sleep this will drag on..... Children should NOT have a bottle after 12 months of age ....at all. As soon as a child can drink from a sippy cup the bottle should be gone. So the parents should chuck the bottle in thr garbage and let the kid scream and after two or three nights the child would not wake up anymore and presto afternoon naps would be much better because there would be no reason to wake up anymore.... That's just my opinion and yes I let my own kids scream for a few nights to stop them from waking up for a bottle and it was never more then three nights for any of them. But parents have to be motivated and have a good supply of tissues on hand because it is heartbreaking to listen to your child cry when you know you can just get them what they want and it would be over but you have to be tough knowing that thus is the best thing for the child because uninterrupted sleep makes for happier parents and babies!
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 11-13-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Stupid auto correct

my 3 yr old dcb comes in the morning holding his bottle with his teeth by the nipple and shakes it back and forth. As soon a mom leaves I take the bottle and he isn't bothered. Come on parents! I agree with playfelt and Crayola kiddies assessment.

Agreed ... children need to be taught to sleep well ... they cry out / wake because it is 'natural' to do this but WE as the adults bring them fully awake / alert by going in to feed them or what not when in reality they were not 'hungry' it was just the natural sleep cycle to roll over come out of rem open eyes and than you are suppose to fall right back to sleep without even realizing you WERE awake .... IMO so many parents JUMP now to run look when babe cries out that THEY are the ones creating the sleep problems by disrupting the natural process ... give them a few minutes to fall back asleep on their own as long as they are making noise you know they are 'breathing' you do not need to go IN the room
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    my 13 month old dcg is still struggling with sleeping at naptime. we have a good day (very rare) and some okay days and then really brutal days. I'm not seeing a consistent improvement. her morning nap is fairly consistent. i would say she goes down and stays down for the hour 3 out of 5 days a week which isnt great but better than it was. afternoon naps are another story. she used to sleep for 45min to an hour then wake and cry for the last hour, now she's waking after 30 minutes and crying for 90 mnutes. not having a relaxing naptime is killing me. mom is great, totally on board and supports cio but I have to aske her tonight if she is nursing when she wakes at night. is suspect she is. last night apparently she slept straight through for 11 hours which i believe is the first time she's done that ever. i was hoping nap would be good today but alas it is another scream fest. She's really loud too which disrupts the other kids. I have her as far away as possible, sound machines in both rooms. ugggh any other suggestions
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Agreed ... children need to be taught to sleep well ... they cry out / wake because it is 'natural' to do this but WE as the adults bring them fully awake / alert by going in to feed them or what not when in reality they were not 'hungry' it was just the natural sleep cycle to roll over come out of rem open eyes and than you are suppose to fall right back to sleep without even realizing you WERE awake .... IMO so many parents JUMP now to run look when babe cries out that THEY are the ones creating the sleep problems by disrupting the natural process ... give them a few minutes to fall back asleep on their own as long as they are making noise you know they are 'breathing' you do not need to go IN the room

Euphoric !
    Gramma .... Yes I do .... Shorten the morning nap then take outside..... Fresh air tuckers them all out... Then feed large lunch .... Full belly=sleepy baby ...... I have one that I just started mid oct and mom couldn't get baby to sleep more then about 1.5 hour in aft ..... Well I let baby sleep 30 mins only in am then outside and not in a stroller Or a swing .... Crawls around and up and down stairs by himself .... I want lots of movement so he's tired and then nice big lunch and off to slumber land at 12 or 12:15 and I usually have to wake him at 3:30 to be ready for mom..... it's miraculous.... I also weaned him off his soother .... Mom always gives him two you know just incase he looses one he has another as back up ???? ya not here .... Soother is gone ; ). He goes to bed and goes to sleep all by himself like the big 12 month old boy he is !!!

No advice that has not been given .... other than making sure everyone is consistently on board with supporting proper sleep ... all it takes if for one adult in the mix to be going against the grain and it will take that much longer for the child to learn to self soothe through natural wake cycles to stop 'waking entirely up' during them.

I had a child start at 8 months who the entire mat leave mom claimed he never napped more than 20 minutes at a time for her during day and 2-3 hours at night with an hour of screaming in between ... but IMO that is because the kid 'talked in his sleep' which mom was interpreting as being ready to get up so she would here him start go in and get him up ~ and couple hours later he would have another 20 minute nap.

Here I saw the eyes were closed and he was still laying down and not 'in distress' so initially first couple days I just 'rubbed his back' and shhed and he went back to sleep and than over time just waited / ignored it and after a few minutes it would stop and he would settle back into deeper sleep ... the child since his first day here had 60 minute morning nap with crying out at 20 minute mark and than after hour he would 'sit up' without the cry indicating he was done and a 3 HOUR afternoon nap with same 20 minute cry out at start and than again about 1.5 hours in but again eyes closed and still laying down so just waited it out. Now after 10 months here he only cries out / talks in sleep when he is fighting a cold or teething otherwise he sleeps soundly the solid 3 hours in afternoon ~ we are weaned off the am nap now.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Yeah, I've had quite a few kids whose parents tell me they won't nap more than 20 minutes in the entire day (these are 8-12 month olds!). But, I always get them napping well eventually here. It just takes consistency and it takes time (usually 4-8 weeks for the tough ones). They must KNOW that you are not coming back until naptime is over. Parents are always amazed that I can get them to sleep. I also try to get them outside for fresh air in the AM and lots of movement and a good lunch etc. Good luck!

apples and bananas
    All great advice and exactly what I figured was happening.... Now... How would you address this with mom?