Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Holding spots but someone wants immediate care...

Hi Everyone,

I have one dcg that comes 2x week, then I am holding 3 spots (with deposits), one for January and two for March. The problem is that I have someone who wants an interview for a spot for end of November and we could really use the income now. I know the legal limit is 5 daycare kids plus my own but I can only handle 4 plus my own. If this family for November wants the spot what would you do? Would you let a family go that hasn't started yet? Of course returning the deposit to them or would you cancel the interview and just leave it like it is?? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Ouch ~ this is why I do not like to 'hold spots' because if I have made a commitment to someone I feel obligated to keep it!

However if your one client is only 2 days a week you would only technically have 5 day care kids two days a week ... so while having a full house ALL the time might not be ideal would 2 days a week work?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

I agree with Reggio. This way everyone gets what they want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yup I agree with Reggio .... And murphys law says if you turn away this family one of the others starting in the new year will cancel..... Go for it !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

That all makes sense and yes I could do that. I just got another email for care for mid-december. I am so regretting holding spots Has anyone ever gave a deposit back and told a family that they can't hold their spot anymore? I don't want to ruin my reputation though!

Personally no - I have never done that ... however I learned with my very first client on why you do NOT hold a space no matter how 'nice' someone seems at the beginning cause she paid her deposit and two weeks up front for two kids which was awesome ... and proceeded to than delay starting the two kids for 6 weeks pleading family emergency and so forth and me being a SUCKER giving the benefit of the doubt and being KIND let her. Than she called on the Friday before they were to start tried to TERMINATE cause she got into a centre based childcare program that would better meet their long term needs and it was going to be ready in two weeks and no point in starting the boys yada yada please give me back my money since I wont need your service ... and when I reminder her that based on her contract her 'security deposit' was non refundable and could only be applied to last two weeks of care and I would not be making an exception since I was already out the 6 weeks of income for having held the spot for her .... she SENT the kids to help them get 'use to being away from her' to get her monies worth ... so basically I lost out on 6 weeks of income for being 'kind' and I got to 'break in' her boys to the world of group care AND not even a thank you cause she was PISSY at me for standing my ground about the deposit which made me a bitch

If I was going to change my mind I would for SURE return the deposit since I would have no right to keep it since it was ME breaking the contract!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    You can ask if the other family could start early if not then I would offer the spot to the family who wants to start immidiately. If you can go without income for couple of months sure go ahead but I think I wouldn't do that even If I can go without the income. You will be loosing 2.5 to 3 months of income and I think it is too much to loose. As I always say look after yourself first! Read bright sparks's post you will know what I mean Good luck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoon For This Useful Post:

Cocoon, so in your opinion if I am giving a family 4 months to find another caregiver and giving back their deposit to take on a family wanting care sooner is that ok or do you think it would ruin my reputation??

Outgoing
    How are you going to ruin your reputation? By giving them 4 months to find another day home or by returning their deposit and advance payment in full? It could be the other way. Like it happened to me just 2 days ago. They could have commit to you and after a while come back to you and say that they changed their mind or something else came up( mostly free or cheaper care option ) I don't think you will ruin anything. And your reason is perfectly understandable. Give them the option to start early if not then take on the other family. This is your business and you should look after yourself and your family first. And don't feel guilty. Hope it helps.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    ....Give them the option to start early if not then take on the other family. This is your business and you should look after yourself and your family first. And don't feel guilty. Hope it helps.
    This is a good alternative IMO ... I do not hold spots where I am forgoing income for the reason I have stated but I have had clients wanting to return to space from maternity leave at X date and well a spot comes open earlier I give them the option to either take that spot by committing and paying for it OR I will advertize to fill it externally and they risk there not being another one come X date ... to me that is fair cause well I cannot be expected to forgo 2 or 3 months income just cause I like them ... now if there was some other benefit in it for me I would and have done it ... aka I once wanted low ratios for summer so left a spot open for July and had a client wanting a September start meet me in the middle for August with starting the last two weeks full time early to 'wean in' while mom was still home to come if child was not coping ~ fair compromise.

I have also 'prebooked' spots that were to be coming available with outside clients .... aka current client gives me a years notice that they will be done next September for school so I prebook a new client for September start date but the contract says right on it .... "tentative start date of X based on projected enrollment at this time ~ if for some reason the opening comes available SOONER than a Y date the client must commit to the earlier start date of forfeit the spot. In case where client chooses to forfeit the opening this contract relates to they will be placed at the top of the waiting list but there will be no guarantee if that next opening may be.' If they were to turn DOWN a spot I would make them sign a form saying they did so to cover my ass

So for example I am willing to give a 'buffer' of a couple weeks so if the current client told me tentative September 5th was going to be their last date months prior and they end up leaving early cause they choose to take holidays the last two weeks of August when the formal termination letter came I would suck up that lost income .... however if they end up leaving in JUNE well than the incoming client who wanted the space for September and had left a pre booking deposit for it would either have to commit to a BEGINNING JULY start date of forgo the prebooked space due to the unforeseen changes in enrollment ... if that makes sense?
    Loris Malaguzzi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post: